DIY Screen tops

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So. The kits that folks buy to DIY screen lids, are those frames aluminum? Are they reef safe?

The ones I have seen in the diy is the frames they sell at lowes or HD. They are aluminum but painted more than likely power coated. I would think it you are not soaking them in the tank they should be fine.

The ones I have seen in the diy is the frames they sell at lowes or HD. They are aluminum but painted more than likely power coated. I would think it you are not soaking them in the tank they should be fine.
Just checking. I bought the parts from Home Depot, and was putting them together, and was just wondering.

I have used those but noticed oxidation and had an overdose of aluminium noted in a Triton test so I switched to Acrylic.

I really liked the aluminium frames, just wish they made them in plastic...

I have used those but noticed oxidation and had an overdose of aluminium noted in a Triton test so I switched to Acrylic.

Grr. That's what I was thinking would happen. I wonder if I can coat them in something that would be okay...

Fwiw, Aluminum is not generally toxic at pH 7-8

Just curious, did you notice any change in the appearance/condition of any organisms in that system prior to the test?

Fwiw, Aluminum is not generally toxic at pH 7-8

Just curious, did you notice any change in the appearance/condition of any organisms in that system prior to the test?
I've read that elevated aluminum levels pretty much only affects softies/leathers. I've got quite a bit in my frag tank (where these screens are going). I've already bought black plastic dip, and am waiting for it to try to apply another coat. I actually prefer the black plastic coat to the brown of the screen frame anyway. I will report back when I get done!

The only studies I’ve read which showed a negative correlation to aluminum in marine environments, involved diatom sensitivity.

This was not an exhaustive search of literature. Just a search for aluminum toxicity in marine environments, specifically.

Aluminum is known to interfere with silicon chemistry in certain conditions. Diatoms use silicon as a major structural component. It might be possible that softies could consume diatoms and be effected by such a mechanism.

The only studies I’ve read which showed a negative correlation to aluminum in marine environments, involved diatom sensitivity.

This was not an exhaustive search of literature. Just a search for aluminum toxicity in marine environments, specifically.

Aluminum is known to interfere with silicon chemistry in certain conditions. Diatoms use silicon as a major structural component. It might be possible that softies could consume diatoms and be effected by such a mechanism.
I'm not going to pretend to know either way. This hobby is mostly anecdotal - I'm just trying to avoid something potentially being an issue. Crap is going to happen, and that's inevitable - I'm just trying to stack the deck in my favor :p

What do you use for a handle to help get the lid off? I had tried a galvanized eye with nylon cord but the aluminum was too pliable and it eventually pulled out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

can someone post a link to the screen top kits they are buying at lowes or home depot

I had a thread on making these awhile back also. I haven’t noticed any issues with my systems and been using them without any treatment for many years.

Found a great handle to slide top off.
a28d5310bc77b163cb734720fa97f7fa.jpg
fb25b259a2d88ec216c8ab0c71239bdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You can use some double sided tape to stick a small piece of acrylic to the screen frame, that should be plenty to grab a hold of.

Or

turn the screen top right side up meaning the screen spline will be hidden and you should be able to grab the edge of the screen top with your finger tips...

does anyone know anywhere locally i can get the netting for the second time in a few weeks this angelfish has taken a jump out of the tank i was sitting there when it happened it just swam to the surface to eat some flakes and jumped too far i have a glass top over the side he keeps jumping out of temporarily til i get this screen top tomorrow i know i can get the window screen kit from home depot the issue is getting the netting no idea where i can find it now with everything closed up

Back