DIY Sump Help

de1nonly23

Market
Reaction score
I am working on a 20 gallon sump for my 75RR. The sump cam with 4 baffles. 2 are 8 inches by 11 1/2 and 2 are 6 inches by 11 1/2. I am probably going with a Reef Octopus 110 or 150 as my protein skimmer. I have a quiet one 5000 as a return pump (got a good deal on it, not sure if it will be too much flow). Do I need taller baffles? Please help Thanks
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
786703=38934-2012-08-06 20.31.44.jpg
>
786703=38934-2012-08-06 20.31.44.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2012-08-06 20.31.44.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
786703=38935-2012-08-06 20.31.56.jpg
>
786703=38935-2012-08-06 20.31.56.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2012-08-06 20.31.56.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

How many inches below the water line is your overflow? You will need to know that so you adjust your baffles to the proper height. There are some calculators out there that will help you figure out how much room you need in your sump in case of a power outage.

a>

I am not set up so I am not sure how many inches below water line my overflow will be. I guess that will determine flow. The calculator says to us 2 inches.below water line. I did that and it says my sump volume should be 7.5 gallons to.handle overflow. How do I.use.that info to.determine baffle.height.

Since your sump is a 20g, the easiest way to do it is cut the height in half and that is your height for the baffles.

Another thing you need to take into consideration is if you are going to run a skimmer or not. If so, you need to look at the running depth for it.

it wont work the way the glass is. the water level on the left side will be higher than the first baffle due to the height of the one on the right and the height of the one at the return pump. it has to step down if using 2 different size glass.

the water level also needs to be low enough so when you shut the pump off the back flow does not flood the sump. i have the 150 and i raised it up about 1-1/2". bring it over.

It would work if you flipped the sump around. Have the return pump after the bubble trap. Have overflow enter the skimmer section then one baffle, you could do a fuge in the middle section then the 3 baffles, and the return pump in the last section. That's my 20L sump is set up.

i have a 20h for a sump, i made the baffles 8" tall. i figured that was a the lower end of the acceptable skimmer depth. bc the sump is so small, i wanted to be certain it wouldnt overflow during power outtage. with 8" baffles, when i turn the power off to my return pump and skimmer, the sump depth raises prob 3"

Thanks for the input. I figured the size glass would not work...I am going to get some glass that is between between 8-9 inches. Thinking 8 and that will give me 4 inches when the pump is turned off. Thanks Charles I am sure I will need your help...Let me look into getting some more glass. Did you ever get your glass?

Derrick, you should probably plum a ball valve after the return pump that way you can control the return back to your tank.

If you keep 1" between each baffle on the bubble trap and keep the middle one 1" off the bottom you will get the best results. Using a piece of scrap 3/4" PVC as a spacer worked perfect for me. The way I did mine was to have the skimmer and drain lines in the right compartment, return in the center and fuge on the left. There is a bubble trap between skimmer section and return but only one baffle between fuge and return. This allows you to reduce the amount of water that flows through your fuge. The way you have it means that all the flow from the tank runs through the fuge. That means the water moves to fast in the fuge or you have to dial down the flow to the tank. In the method I use, I tee off the return line and run it to the fuge with a ball valve so I can set the flow rate in the fuge.

Here are a couple pics that might help. Not the best but I think you will get the idea. Off of the return pump I have a cross. the right side feeds my skimmer and the left side feeds the fuge and the bulkhead for reactors.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
786779=38937-025.jpg
>
786779=38937-025.jpg
class="gc-images" title="025.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
786779=38938-026.jpg
>
786779=38938-026.jpg
class="gc-images" title="026.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Hey Rich what is the clear tubing. I was thinking of having both PVC and vinyl tubing..

The clear tubing feeds my skimmer. I would prefer it wasn't clear (to prevent algae growth) but that is what came with it. If I see algae starting to grow I will steal Jef4y's idea and wrap it with tinfoil. LOL

rdnelson99;786802 wrote: The clear tubing feeds my skimmer. I would prefer it wasn't clear (to prevent algae growth) but that is what came with it. If I see algae starting to grow I will steal Jef4y's idea and wrap it with tinfoil. LOL

Or you can get some the foam pipe wrap. But it is a must to cover them to prevent algae growth.

About to get some taller baffles. I am going with 9 inches high. This will give me 3 inches of space left which should be enough to handle the water flow when the pump is off.

3" is only 3.5 gallons and you dont really want it that full. if you drop down to 4" its about 5gal. yes on the 1" min space between baffles.

Edit: get you a tube of silicone from mcmaster carr and bring your stuff over this weekend.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rtv-sealants/=ho8qzs"><span style="color: #22229c">http://www.mcmaster.com/#rtv-sealants/=ho8qzs</span></a>

GE108
10.1-oz. Cartridge
Translucent
7545A472

I would prefer it wasn't clear (to prevent algae growth) but that is what came with it. If I see algae starting to grow I will steal Jef4y's idea and wrap it with tinfoil. LOL

Oh... so tin foil has more then uses then just to keep the aliens out our minds. ; )

Don't know if it helps, but Home Depot has the black tubing it... might work better

Back