DIY Sump Help

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I have not setup stuff to test this but I would assume that either way is about the same. Yes you have all of the water flowing across the top of the fuge when it’s in the middle but not a lot of it will churn the water down inside of it. I had a ball of cheato and it never would move as current is very slow in the bottom of the fuge. When I started up the 75 with the dirty sand, I literally had to stir and stir to get the dust out of it.</span></span>

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">As for the spray bar in the bottom, yes you can control the flow but you could force more flow then the center fuge. I’m thinking on my next sump build to make to skimmer side about 4” wider or even wider and maybe add some LR in it. Or add another baffle to contain the algae. IJDK yet</span></span>

I will be rasing the sump up and taking the mag 9.5 out of the return and the mag 7 out of the skimmer side and pipeing an external pump in hopes of reduceing the heat buildup.

downsized_0526021147-1.jpg
alt="" />

Sewer Urchin;786885 wrote: Oh... so tin foil has more then uses then just to keep the aliens out our minds. ; )

Don't know if it helps, but Home Depot has the black tubing it... might work better

I am too cheap for that. :) LOL So far it hasn't been a issue for me. Stays pretty dark under my stand and the fuge light doesn't reach over that far.

Edit:
eagle9252;786983 wrote:

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">As for the spray bar in the bottom, yes you can control the flow but you could force more flow then the center fuge.</span></span>

The way mine is set up, the ball of Chaeto does a constant slow tumble. I can adjust the speed at which it tumbles with the ball valve that feeds the spray bar.

rdnelson99;786994 wrote: I am too cheap for that. :) LOL So far it hasn't been a issue for me. Stays pretty dark under my stand and the fuge light doesn't reach over that far.

Edit:

The way mine is set up, the ball of Chaeto does a constant slow tumble. I can adjust the speed at which it tumbles with the ball valve that feeds the spray bar.

just reread the quote and i guess i was asleep :^(

it should had said something like:
As for the spray bar in the bottom, yes you can control the flow but you could force more flow then you will get in the center fuge.

then to add to this would be:

some has said that you could add a small power head to churn the water for the chaeto but then i feel the defeats the purpous.

i doubt my baffles are an inch apart, IIRC we just used a dvd case between baffles when siliconing them in

my first ones were 1" +/- and this one is 1x4 thickness. it just LQQKs like it does not flow as well but the water level is the same height so its not hindering the flow any.

I see another debate going on about the importance of a fuge. Should I have or should I not incorporate one into my sump build

de1nonly23;787074 wrote: I see another debate going on about the importance of a fuge. Should I have or should I not incorporate one into my sump build

Up to you. I like it because it gives a good place to grow macro algae which will use up the nutrients that micro algae needs to grow in my display. Some incorporate sand in it as well to provide more surface area for Bacteria to grow. I did that on my first one but not on the second. The chaeto tumbles better without the sand especially if the spray bar is down low like in the picture I posted.

to quote some that i cant remember.

it's going to grow somewhere. i would rather it grow in the sump than in my DT.

Back