DIY Sump using 10 gal

YoungReefer10g

Market
Reaction score
Hello all I’d first off like to thanks everyone who guided me towards using a sump instead of a canister filter , and since then I’ve been looking at sumps and the name brand ones seem way over priced but when I’m looking for a diy 10 gal sump I can’t find anything I’ve seen some kits on eBay but I was wondering if it would cheaper to just go to the store and get some glass and make one using a extra 10 gal I have. And if I did is anyone in here a mastermind at building sumps?

Hello, and welcome!!

Good call on using a sump!! It definitely doesn't take being a mastermind, but it does require careful planning - especially for a tank that size. Others here can guide you better than I, but what size display tank are you trying to service, and what are your goals? Simply mechanical/biological filtration? Do you need to accommodate UV or any scrubbers/reactors? What about a refugium?

A 10 gallon doesn't give you a ton of real estate, so some of those choices may be made for you by default, but you definitely need to start with a clear set of goals in mind...

Enjoy the journey - I'm definitely jealous of your getting to start with a clean slate!

--Ron

Hello, and welcome!!

Good call on using a sump!! It definitely doesn't take being a mastermind, but it does require careful planning - especially for a tank that size. Others here can guide you better than I, but what size display tank are you trying to service, and what are your goals? Simply mechanical/biological filtration? Do you need to accommodate UV or any scrubbers/reactors? What about a refugium?

A 10 gallon doesn't give you a ton of real estate, so some of those choices may be made for you by default, but you definitely need to start with a clear set of goals in mind...

Enjoy the journey - I'm definitely jealous of your getting to start with a clean slate!

--Ron
Thank you for the response! The DP will be a 30 gal , I was planning on having biological filtration , wasn’t planning on uv scrubbers /reactors (do I need to consider these?) , Was planning on getting a refugium in the future , and I am getting a protein skimmer from @Steve Burton which I plan to put in there . And yes I’m extremely excited to start with a clean slate my last reef tank sadly went side ways , so a ton of mistakes I wont be making with this tank!

My math may not be the best but isn’t a 20l smaller than 10 gallons. And do you know any kits that are cheaper ?

My math may not be the best but isn’t a 20l smaller than 10 gallons. And do you know any kits that are cheaper ?
20galon long,, cheapest is to buy a sheet of acrylic and cut it to make your baffles for a sump,,look up DIY sump

I feel like a douchebag but for the 10 gal kit should I not find one with a filter sock holder or is that what my chemi pure blue does

I feel like a douchebag but for the 10 gal kit should I not find one with a filter sock holder or is that what my chemi pure blue does
two different types of filtration..socks are mechanical and chemi is a chemical filtration,, pros and cons with socks..they do great collecting crap but need changing often(2-3) days

I use a cup that has holes in it from Red Sea and fill it with filter floss and change every couple of days

I'm always in favor of more total water volume so I'd encourage the biggest sump possible. One of the sumps I'm using right now is just a tank, I don't have any baffles and it's still a great place to keep equipment. My goal was to get the system up and running and make a sump but the bare tank is working so well, I'm going to let it be.

There are a lot of YouTube videos about how to turn a 10 gallon into a sump. The fish tank guy has a series showing step by step how to do this and he also does a 20l. The 10 gallon is refugium only I believe and the 20 has room for skimmer and other things. Just search his channel.

where are you located? I have some glass from Lowe’s that I had cut a bit too small but would still be good to cut to size for a 10 gallon, free to you. All you would need is a $3-5 dollar glass cutting tool from Lowe’s/homedepot and you can make your own baffles.
I’m in Lilburn.I could meet you sometime this week, I’m currently in Orlando till late tonight .

So if I ran a 10 gal sump with later on adding a 10 gal regium would that work better than just having a ten or is it not worth it running two sumps?
I'm always in favor of more total water volume so I'd encourage the biggest sump possible. One of the sumps I'm using right now is just a tank, I don't have any baffles and it's still a great place to keep equipment. My goal was to get the system up and running and make a sump but the bare tank is working so well, I'm going to let it be.
l

Back