DIY Sump

jason7274

Market
Reaction score
After watching countless videos on YouTube, I've decided to build my first sump and picked up a 20L at Petco last weekend. I haven't decided between purchasing a baffle kit or making them myself. For those who have built a sump, did you cut your own glass or buy a kit? If I buy a kit, I'm leaning towards this one from Jax Racks because I can get cut outs for socks/cups and an adjustable baffle.

I'll document my progress here. Wish me luck, haha!

For my 20L I bought the glass dividers from a glass company with one edge of each piece polished. It was rather expensive, if I were to make another I'd cut and polish them myself. I have some extra glass if you decide to do it yourself.

I've done it 3 ways. Glass, true DIY Acrylic, and Fiji Cube kit. I think if you have the right tools sitting around already and don't mind spending the time doing it a DIY acrylic setup will work good. Glass was a pain in the butt and not worth the headache in my opinion. The Fiji Cube setup in my opinion was the best balance of money and time.

This is what I currently have:

I’ve got a Fiji Cube AIO insert for a 20L in my office and I like it. Knowing me, a kit is probably the best option. I’ll take look at Exotic Marine as well. I’d like a refugium section too. One thing is certain, there are several kits out there.

There's not a lot of room in a 20L for a fuge chamber and a skimmer. If you go with a fuge you'd want black opaque acrylic so algae and film doesn't grow where to don't want it.

The pricing is pretty close between Fiji and EMS so it'd be down to personal preference. Here's a link.

I built 2 sumps from 20 gallons and 40 gallons tanks. I used thicker pieces of acrylic 3/4", which to me better than glass material.

IMO glass dividers work best in a glass tank because silicone adheres to it much better than acrylic. My first ever DIY sump used acrylic and one of the baffles eventually came apart.

Also a PSA: LOWE'S (not Home Depot) CUTS GLASS FOR YOU FOR FREE! Thus making glass a cheap AND EASY option.

Fijicube 20l baffle kit is pretty slick. I like mine. I just run a fuge in one chamber and rock in another. I disagree on not enough room for a skimmer and a fuge though. I could easily have made it work but just choose to not run skimmers because I'm cheap and lazy.

I've got a disassembled 29 gallon if you want some glass, you can have if you want it.
Edit: Ah, just noticed how old this thread is.

Last edited:
Back