dKh test issues: Sera vs AP vs Seachem

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
So I tested my dKh with 3 different test kits.

Sera = 7 dkh
API = 13 dkh
SC = 16.8

Witht he seachem kit, you can also test borate alkalinity, which in my case was below 1 meq/L.

Sooo... what gives? I did each test twice with similar results. As you can see they are all over the map here.

I went threw something similar when I set up my reactor. I ended up buying a lamotte test kit. I use it & api. I test the tank and with the lamotte and then compare it to what the api gets. Then I just use api and save some money. The api usually is with in 1 to 1.5 depending on what you think is green.

Also reread the directions because some say divide then multiple by 25 ETC.... It may sound stupid but I have made the mistake.

Let me know if you want to use one of mine to verify

Joe

Yeah, the API seems a lot more reasonable than the other two. Seachem is definatly out the window.

Both the sera and API are super easy... Just 1 drop = 1 dkh. The seachem is the silly one that measures in meq/L.

By the way, all the kits are almost brand new with very little use, so they shouldnt be too old. I dont think.

Yeah maybe. I wish I had a control to test the kits against. Something that I know what the dkh is already... Any househld items with a known alkalinity?

Yeah, the FDA requires that all household products have the dkH, (aka German measurement for Carbonate Hardness) listed on the labels. DA

Steve, do us all a favor and pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow.

Well then Derek, shouldn't you just look on a label then? haha I am really lol'ing at that comment Derek. haha

Me too... hahaa. I havent used that one in years. Right up there with "go suck an egg."

lmao you got me rolling right now... this is a great thread, from dKh issues to Derek sucking an egg. l-m-a-o

To be honest alk is the only API test kit that I have found to be accurate. I have found there other kits to be garbage. I have been playing the same game with calcium kits lately and have gotten three different readings from three different brands. I am going to invest in some quality kits in the next few weeks. I just wish I knew which ones to trust.

I find testing to be a pita. It usually causes more problems and headaches than they're worth. If my corals and fishies are happy, then who cares what my calcium and alk is?

ok, small rant over with...

I've tested the sera and salifert kits for calcium and foind them to be very close to each other. The API kits seem to be quite reasonable, but you have to make sure you perform the tests correctly. How you "drip" the solution is VERY important and makes a HUGE difference on the output of the test.

Thank god I don't have corals anymore, lol. I always used Salifert though.

Well, how</em> should I be dripping? I try to make the bottle completely verticle, I only count the test if all drops were uniform (if it sputters or half drips I start over) and I use a syringe to measure the 5 ml amount to be tested.

Skriz;227571 wrote: I find testing to be a pita. It usually causes more problems and headaches than they're worth. If my corals and fishies are happy, then who cares what my calcium and alk is?

I've tested the sera and salifert kits for calcium and foind them to be very close to each other. The API kits seem to be quite reasonable, but you have to make sure you perform the tests correctly. How you "drip" the solution is VERY important and makes a HUGE difference on the output of the test.
My API calcium reads 380 no matter how I test when I test or after adding calcium. I just dont trust it. I have gotten everything from 200 to 480 with other brands. I am currently using a Sera kit I bought and seem to be around 420 now but who really knows? I have tested and retested with my API with no change maybe I just have a bad kit.

That just because it would cost you a fortune to raise or lower anything in that huge tank of yours.:lol2: JK Lets see I need to raise my mag it will take me five 1 gal bottles of Kent mag to raise it 100 points.

Joe

Skriz;227571 wrote: I find testing to be a pita. It usually causes more problems and headaches than they're worth. If my corals and fishies are happy, then who cares what my calcium and alk is?

corvettecris;227580 wrote: Well, how</em> should I be dripping? I try to make the bottle completely verticle, I only count the test if all drops were uniform (if it sputters or half drips I start over) and I use a syringe to measure the 5 ml amount to be tested.

Sounds like you're doing it right. :thumbs: Make sure you don't force the droplet out...it won;t be consistent if you do.

Always use the syringe too.

Back