dKh test issues: Sera vs AP vs Seachem

I somewhat agree. Right now everything looks good but when things go south I like to know the results I'm getting are actually correct.

Time your test correctly also. Certain degrees of percipitation have to occur in tests like calcium and magnesium for you to get an accurate reading.

Also, routinely clean your testing vials with either bleach or vinegar. If you're testing carbonates, calcium, magnesium, or strontium, use vinegar. Everything else gets bleach.

Be sure the bottom of the meniscus is at the line in your testing vial.

DannyBradley;227618 wrote:

Be sure the bottom of the meniscus is at the line in your testing vial.

I use a syringe. In that case, you disregard the line, right? I notice when I use a syringe the line is significantly wrong (or the syringe is)

johnr2604;227582 wrote: My API calcium reads 380 no matter how I test when I test or after adding calcium. I just dont trust it. I have gotten everything from 200 to 480 with other brands. I am currently using a Sera kit I bought and seem to be around 420 now but who really knows? I have tested and retested with my API with no change maybe I just have a bad kit.

Only to back up what danny said about cleaning your test vials, make sure that the chemicals that your actually testing with are up to date and are testing acuratelly. Ive been using a lot of API kits lately, and I can vouch from experience that if your getting strange or lousy results, it can sometimes be attributed to an outdated test solution.

Yeah, thats why I went out and bought a new one. With API, I usually only use it for about 3 months, then discard it.

corvettecris;227630 wrote: Yeah, thats why I went out and bought a new one. With API, I usually only use it for about 3 months, then discard it.

:up: :up:

Just get an ELOS kit and u can end your frustration. been there myself.

Yeah, I need to do that. Just so darn expensive. Do thay last a looong time?

corvettecris;227647 wrote: Yeah, I need to do that. Just so darn expensive. Do thay last a looong time?

just get 1 per month! The KH is 18 bucks, I've had it for a year!

jade76;227622 wrote: Only to back up what danny said about cleaning your test vials, make sure that the chemicals that your actually testing with are up to date and are testing acuratelly. Ive been using a lot of API kits lately, and I can vouch from experience that if your getting strange or lousy results, it can sometimes be attributed to an outdated test solution.
Well if its outdated then it must have come that way. It tested like this from the time I purchased it. I am very diligent on the testing making sure my vials are clean and following the directions to the T. I have just lost all trust with the API kits.I have cycled 2 tanks using there master kit I bought new from DFS and never got any trates during the cycle testing daily which seamed odd at the time.I even emailed API about it. I will not be purchasing there kits anymore and will be buying Elos or other kits from now on.

I have an API kit that has the nitrate nitrite, PH, and ammonia that is over two years old, and I got the same results with a brand new kit last month...:confused2:

As for calcium, and KH I cannot vouch for how long they last.

I also believe it is all about how you store them too. I keep mine in a fish supplies only Kitchen cabinet.

I got a salifert today from Tim 'the clam man' so, i will try in in a bit compared to the API.

The Elos dkh test is the same as the API one. 1 drop = 1 dkh. Although when measured side by side API is always about 2 pts lower then my Elos one. If your ever near Einsteins, take some water with you. Chris will test it with the Elos kits he has and you can compare it to what you have been getting for your readings. If its really crazy in difference maybe its the kits. The Elos stuff is pretty accurate from what I have found out. And Chris swears by them. Granted he sells them. LoL

Salifet and API were within .05 meq/L, so I guess API wins... kinda. My dkh is now down to ~10 so CA reactor is back on.

Back