Do Cherub pygmy angel eat sponge ? I got sooo much

tbub1221

Reaction score
Do these little guys eat sponge like the larger angel fish?
The bottom of my rock is becoming over ran by white/clear sponge it's kinda shabby looking and id like it gone , any tips on a reef safe invert other than nudibranch that eats it plz share.
Its a 30g reef so not too many fish are suitable for me

As an adjunct question - what commonly available nudibranch consumes sponge?

I have a mix (yellow mat-like, white tube-like) that hitchhiked in a few months ago that are starting to pop up everywhere and smother the bases of several zoa colonies. Yes, I could scrape it off, but the tank's devoted to interesting invertebrates - be nice to put something neat in that'll eat it.

Tbub - sorry for the low-grade thread-jack. I ways thought cherub pygmy angels were potential coral nippers - not aware of them having a taste for sponges.

I had those same sponges grew like crazy. I forgot about them and one day realized they disappeared.

Sure hope mine disappear , I think it spread so fast because I've been feeding phyto to my yellow gorgonia so I've since cut that way back.

Anyone else have some thoughts on the angel or an invert ? do urchins eat sponge or is that only non reef safe urchins ?

Can you pull the rocks out and expose them to air for a few minutes? Sponges don't like air.

Ringo®;977413 wrote: Can you pull the rocks out and expose them to air for a few minutes? Sponges don't like air.
Unfortunately no my rocks are all ziptied I'd have to take it all out , I did that with a couple loose pieces it did help.
I've noticed it spreading has seemed to halt and might be dieing off .
Im just starving it out

Back