Do I leave the clown in the anemonea?

raisingtwo2006

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I'm just full of questions lately-

The Condi Anemonea that I have is all deflated looking again (not the question, that was yesterday:) ) and my maroon clown is all wrapped up in him swimming back and forth. I thought that maybe he was stuck, or being eaten or something. So I swished him out and he swam around a few rocks and went right back in it.

So, do I leave him? Will that CA eat him if he stays swimming in it? Or do I keep swishing him out until the thing inflates again?

Thanks!

the clown will be fine in the anemone...on an other note that is the first time i have heard of a clown actually hosting in an condi anemone nice stuff

dawgdude;51706 wrote: YES a condi will eat a clown fish and the clown usually do not know the difference if it keeps going in. The condi will wrap its tentacles around and try to eat it. The clown just doesnt realize hes being eaten.......I had a condi eat two of my friends perculas and she got rid of them because of it. Condis are cheap but if you find a pretty BTA or RBTA you will be much happier.
not to doubt your experience but ive heard of people having condi's that will let a clown host...but very rare i read about it online somewhere

LOL...now I'm even more confused!! We are planning on getting rid of the Condi really soon, but trying to wait until Dennis has a day off..

So, what should I do here?

Ok, I guess I'll just watch him close for now and see what happens...If it looks like he's getting trapped, I'll try to get him out...

i would get rid of the condi even if it didnt look like it was wrapping the clown fish up. Get a nice RBTA just make sure you have the lights for it.

dawgdude;51713 wrote: yeah they will host on rare occasions, but when they do the condi will attempt to eat them and I witnessed the tail being pulled in of my friends clown and by the time i pulled it out the clown was so stunned that it didnt make it. I NEVER recommend condi's unless you dont have clowns or dont have any fish. lol I just think condis are kinda useless and have ben much more of a pain then they are worth.
Interesting and good to know. I really have never heard of a condi eating a clown but i certainly wouldnt put it past it. Get rid of the thing!!!

This is from my understanding and various gleening of knowledge on the net. It's all hearsay :).

I read a thread where someone had a clown hosting in a condi for quite some time on RC. I think condis may be similar in clown eating or more so than say carpet anemones, which are also sometimes known to eat their clowns on rare occasion. Although the anemones would surely eat any fish that's in its grasp, it won't eat itself... The clownfish is essentially masquerading as part of the anemone with its mucous secretions. Of course if the protection is incomplete then the anemone will eat the clown. As such, you may be able to get away with the maroon/condi pair... although it is obviously risky... for the maroon that is :).

Kimberly,
Condi's are a Florida/Carribean anenome and there isn't any clowns to host them. Thus Clowns haven't evolved to host to a Condi and the Condi thinks it's just another fish messing with it and will try to eat it. My recommendation is to (because of the price of a Condi) is to remove it take it to the bath room and see how long it will last once it makes it to the Ocmulgee River.

We will just end up getting rid of him and getting a better one for the clown, ... when we went to bed last night he was still there, and this morning, he's still alive and swimming... I took some pics last night..they probably aren't the best quality, but here goes..
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
51816=3359-clown.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
51816=3359-clown.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="clown.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
51816=3360-clown2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
51816=3360-clown2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="clown2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
51816=3361-clown3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
51816=3361-clown3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="clown3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

It looks to be hosting the condi successfully, for the time being :). Kinda cool to see, imo.

yeah I dont really see anything wrong with the way its hosting looks pretty good to me...also not a bad looking condi

Whew...well that's good to hear. And Thanks... Just gonna keep an eye on them for a bit until we decide what to do then...Thanks again for everyone's help!

Back