Do UV's work?

ga-peaches72

Market
Reaction score
The guy at my lfs has been on me about adding an UV. Do these things work like they say or is it a complete wast of money? He says if I add one my fish wont be getting sick. He said I should of had one before I had a skimmer. I know nothing about them so any help would be great.

I definitely dont agree with the having one before a skimmer a part.....thats a little far fetched.....theres loads of tanks w/ out UV's but i dont know of many these days w/ out a skimmer.

However, yes I do think UV's help a lot. more so with the clarity of the water than with fish disease but I think they "can" help with that as well. That said, I think its important to note that they are an added benefit. If your water conditions are bad or there are any pre existing conditions on your fish, the UV will not make better water or cure your fish...it is more of a semi-preventative thing in my opinion.....

Fish only tank i might agree with him. Reef tanks i i use them periodical (new fish, ...)

IMO 25 watts is the minimum size to use for for any size tank. 40 watters are 3 Xs more powerful so i try to use 40s.

Peaches, I have never ran a UV filter, and my corals (SPS, LPS, and softies) are all doing great. I've <u>never</u> had an outbreak of ich or any other type of parasite, and my water is crystal clear- I've never noticed a tinge of color in the bucket while performing a water change. I do run carbon, and I change it out every 4 to 6 weeks. But to say the a UV filter is a necessity is <u>absurd</u>.

UV is not a substitute for a good QT tank in terms of fish health. I have done extensive personal research on UV and Ich, the results were not good for UV. I have a new tank having an algae problem after its first start up, the UV running on it has made no difference what so ever. So IMHO, it is pretty much a waste of money. You want clear water? Save the $150 you would spend on a good UV and go with an ozone system. You want better fish health? Get a QT system and learn about prevention, water quality and diet...

Thanks for all the info and for saving me at least 150 dollars. My fish except for my trigger have all over come the last out break of ick and all seen to be happy. The water is clear except for things floating in the water (I need a new filter pad). So thanks again for the great info.

Angie

Totally agree with brandon on this one. I do have a small one that I run on a qt tank when I see an issue with a fish in qt and that's it. I've never had one on any of my reef tanks in the almost 10 years I've kept them. I've known several that have and never really saw that it has done any good. Ozone i agree is another story. While I don't run it on my current tank I have in the past and it does have noticeable benefits raising ORP and keeping the water crystal clear.

GA-PEACHES72;147358 wrote: He says if I add one my fish wont be getting sick.
I wish. but it will slow/stop the spread of ick...

Reef tank, skimmer... first. I run 40 watts 2 days a week.

Fish only tank, UV first, a GOOD skimmer a close second. I run UV 24/7

kwl1763;147406 wrote: Totally agree with brandon on this one. I do have a small one that I run on a qt tank when I see an issue with a fish in qt and that's it. I've never had one on any of my reef tanks in the almost 10 years I've kept them. I've known several that have and never really saw that it has done any good. Ozone i agree is another story. While I don't run it on my current tank I have in the past and it does have noticeable benefits raising ORP and keeping the water crystal clear.

+1

besides killing microalgae spores and pods, i don't see a benefit to having a UV.

funny story... my father was a huge stickler for UV swearing that it kills every parasite. come to find out, he hasn't replaced his bulbs in 2 years and most of his turbo twists aren't even working.

he stopped getting ich in his tank because he stopped over stocking the crap out of his tank, not because he got a UV. i know sally jo at GARF swears by them but considering the research on the topic, or the lack there of, i'm sure that the answer is a big fat INCONCLUSIVE.

IMO, it's a placebo. not for the fish but for its owner.

UV doesn't work. your flow rate would need to be quite slow in increase exposure time and you would need a perfectly clean sleeve and a powerful bulb like Roland suggested.

It won't keep your fish from getting sick.

Ozone will help keep your water crystal clear and will kill anything in the reaction chamber. BUT, there are risks with using it and you must take preventative measures.

Rit, your success has more to do with your good husbandry than the uv. Take a little credit for yourself buddy! :)

Don't waste your money on UV!

I was reffering to your water changes!

Feeding your fish 5-7 times a day doesn't hurt either. The fish are healthy and strong, enabling them to fight off infections and ich.

Rit, take some credit! I demand it! You must take some credit. You have a beautiful tank that somehow thrives from your touch</em>! :D

A UV <u>DOES</u> work, but it doesn't FIX every issue known to reefkeeping!
It does what it is supposed to do, nothing more & nothing less.

Sterilization

In especially sensitive aquaria, infections resulting from water born
parasites, fungi, bacterium and vires can cause serious problems.
Water sterilization is most beneficial for breeders (as it can help
control infections of incubating eggs), for centralized multi-tank
filtration (to control the spread of disease between tanks), and for
delicate and/or costly setups such as large tanks and reef systems (as
a safety measure). It is important to remember that a healthy aquarium
depends on beneficial bacteria typically growing on media in your
filter which neutralize ammonia. At most, your sterilizer can kill
some water born pathogens, but total sterilization is not possible or
desirable. Aquarists who practice prudent quarantine procedures for
newly acquired fish generally do not need to sterilize.

Two main types of sterilization are used, ozone injection and
ultraviolet irradiation.:

Ultraviolet Sterilizers

High intensity ultraviolet light destroys the DNA in living cells and
can be an effective means to control living pathogens. The most
effective UV light is the high energy UV(C) light roughly at the
wavelength of 250 Angstroms. To be effective, UV Sterilization (UVS)
must expose the pathogens to high enough light intensity for a long
enough period of time. Martin Moe cites 35,000 to 100,000 microwatts
per second per square centimeter as the norm, which works out to
roughly 10 to 25 gallons per hour per watt (or less for units not
operating at peak efficiency).

Common problems which can reduce efficiency and kill rate are:
1. Allowing the water to flow too fast past the UV light.
2. Light blockage due to a build up of salt deposits or bacterial
slime on the bulb.
3. Fading of the light due to age of the bulb (which typically have a
six month life.)

The same property of this light that kills germs can damage your eyes,
and special care MUST BE TAKEN to avoid direct or indirect eye contact
with this light. [This is especially serious because the damage occurs
inside your eyes before you feel any pain. Too many people have
already damaged their eyes in this way!] The UV(C) light does not
penetrate water very well, so to be effective, UV Sterilizers commonly
position the UV bulb close to the water which also can pose a risk of
electrical shock should the bulb break, etc..

There are three types of UV Sterilizers:
1. Tray type. (Typically homemade) with UV bulbs suspended in a
reflecting fixture over a shallow tray of slow flowing water.
Benefits: easily cleaned, can be cheap, can be made large enough
for commercial applications. Problems: safety risks to your eyes,
too large and awkward for many home uses.
2. Tube type, wet bulb. Tube types have the benefit of exposing all
sides of the UV tube to water with no reflector. The water passes
directly past the bulb which is mounted in a waterproof tube.
Benefits: cheap, compact and effective. Problems: difficult to
clean the slime accumulations from the bulb, safety risks due to
electrical shock.
3. Tube type, dry bulb. Similar to above, but the UV tube is
surrounded by a quartz tube [glass blocks UV(C) light] insulating
it from the water. These are more expensive and probably safer.
Changing the light bulb is easier and dry bulb tube types can have
a internal device to wipe slime from the quartz tube. Some of
these types come with sensors to monitor the intensity of the
light to let you know when to replace/clean the bulb. etc..

Mysterybox's post is probalby more in depth, but yes UV works if you define your expectations. You have to oversize the UV from what most manus tell you and you need to run slow. You also will want some form of filtration in front of the UV to increase its effeciency. I personally ran my carbon, GFO, purigen and a couple sponge filters (changed monthly) in front of it. If you do that, UV has several benefits. Water clarity is one of the biggest. I have seen tanks without UV and ones with a quality UV. There is usually a difference and it is noticable for those with UV. If you never own one, you probably won't notice until you see someones tank that really is super clear. This also can translate into higher PAR, but I am guessing not much. Some algae that spawn via a free floating "seed" are killed by UV. UV can also effectively filter ozone so if you are running both pulling you ozone through the UV can aid in reducing ozone escaping into the air. UV does effect complex organisms like ick if you run slow enough and have a powerful enough UV. A small UV probably won't do much.

Most of the negative reviews we see from people that have used UV is due to the fact that they bought a gimpy undersized turbotwist or other small lil UV.

If you get a strong one you WILL notice a positive difference. That being said, they are not absolutely necessary, either is ozone or a even a skimmer.

I don't disagree they can help with some things. Major problems are. Ratings are way way way underated and flow rates are overstated.

Properly sized are not only expensive but require constant cleaning and bulb replacement is pricey. They can also add a significant amount of heat to the tank when sized properly and are expensive to run.

Ozone also has downsides (have to make sure you blow off the excess, potential to overdose, ruins cheap plastic, etc, etc)

So will they help some things, yes are they worth it? It's personal opinion but no in my experience. As with most things in this hobby though it's neither right nor wrong to have a UV though!

Skimmers have extremly small downside for a huge upside though. While I agree not essential it's hard to debate the worthiness of having one!

kwl1763;147629 wrote: Skimmers have extremly small downside for a huge upside though. While I agree not essential it's hard to debate the worthiness of having one!

i want to scrape my glass less often seems to suffice for a lot of people. :thumbs:

for disease control, i'd say it's pretty much worthless. It's better to keep your fish fat than adding a UV into the system.

To give a comparison. I think the turbo twist says that you CAN run water through it at a rate of 225gph on the 3X. If you look at the chart and read the fine print, this MIGHT kill bacteria but a flow rate of 75GHP is needed to kill something like Ich. So, this might work if you had it on a 14gal Nano but not the best choice for anything larger. So CAN it work, sure... WILL it work, more then likely not. But just like bottled water, it is all in what you believe you are being sold.

I have used a Huge Emperor Aquatics 40watt T-5 UV in the past. I have been able to kill Ich and have crystal clear water. This is my experience with UV. I will run my UV on this tank but I need a new bulb first. I always use a very small pump at about 1 times turnover per hour. Again my experience. Good luck

I have to say that this was not an easy topic to start the day off with. But I have learned a lot. I all ways knew there were a lot of pro and cons to every thing in the fish world, but in the end it all seems like we all agree that it cant hurt to have one but it is not a must have. I think I will do a little more on the learning part and then maybe I will get one. That way when I do get one it will do the job it is designed to do.
In the mean time I will practice on keeping every one in the tank happy and fat. And stop adding things so fast. My tank isn't even 3 months old yet and I have a lot in it.
So Thanks to every one for the help on this topic. Maybe one day I can be one of the ones helping others out.lol

One more thing to concider is china UV bulbs. Lots of these PL bulbs out thier are made in china. Ive never been able to find any good Data on them as to how much UVC they actualy put out if any at all. Some people base there experence on the china Lamps so...

Gamma-Current, Rainbow Lifeguard, Aqua Ultraviolit. All have very good bulbs. So IMO if you are going to get a UV get a good one or dont get one at all.

Back