Do you drip acclimate

For the most part corals are floated for 15-30mins, depending on how long they have been bagged. Then given a 10min dip in Tropic Marin Coral Cure, rinsed and placed in the tank.

Fish are floated for about the same time as the corals. I then decide how delicate the fish species is; for example I will toss in a percula clown. On the other hand I will drip a anthias or a wrasse. My biggest issue was stated above though, the temp starts to drop and then you begin over.

Inverts, get poured into a bucket with bag water and then a drip line is set up 100% of the time. Drip for about 15mins and then in they go.

At this time I don't have a QT system, so all inhabitants have to go into the display. Hopefully this will change soon, but in the mean time I only buy from reputable dealers. If something hasn't been there long enough have them hold it, even if you have to put down some cash. I must say though that I have never had to put down cash for a dealer to hold something for a week to see if it is disease free. A really reputable one wouldn't sell it in the first place.

purpleGORILLA;216815 wrote: I chunk mine in and hope that it won't go into shock..Thats both for fish and corals. :D

Well, I'm not quite that extreme, but I'll float add a cup of water wait a few minutes and in they go. If it is coral I've got to remember to dip the TMCC first.

toss 'em in.....hell they survived 36 hours in a bag from the otherside of the world, sitting in an airplane cargo hold for 24 hours or more.....if they aren't dead already toss 'em in...they want out

dough;221535 wrote: Well, I'm not quite that extreme, but I'll float add a cup of water wait a few minutes and in they go. If it is coral I've got to remember to dip the TMCC first.
Thats exactly how I have done it for fifteen years. And yes I dip every coral before it goes in also. I learned my lesson from that :sad:

i drip acclimate everything now, right now polyps, feather dusters crabs and snails and fish

If you are a noob with a new tank the Dragonet may not have lived anyway. the pod population in your tank needs to build up to feed it. I think a tank should be up for 9 months before such a delicate fish is introduced. The addition of a fuge to give the pods a place to grow would help this also.

Fish and inverts I drip until the water volume has doubled then grab and dump. Corals I just dip in a "coral dip solution" made with tank water and then let them sit for about 15 min. then dump.

I have ordered from Saltwater too. The stuff I got did well, however I did have one loss in a 7 fish order. Like you all i had was bad carma. the clown would never eat.... I tried everything.

good luck and keep your head up.

Jason

"after thought" Is your tank Fish only or a reef? if it is a reef I would suggest SLOWLEY raising your salinity to 1.026. For fish only you are fine...

Here are what I did, do and will do:

1. Float the unopened bag in the sump tank for fifteen minutes to equalize the water temperature in the shipping bag.

2. Open the bag and add one cup of aquarium water into the shipping bag.

3. Wait five minutes before you add another cup of aquarium water. Repeat these steps every five minutes until the shipping bag in filled.

4. Remove half of the water in the shipping bag into a waste container. Add another cup of aquarium water and wait five minutes before you add another cup.

5. When the shipping bag becomes filled the second time, you can then safely net the fish and place it into your tank.

6. Discard both the shipping water and the water in the waste container.

7. Leave the fish or coral with the lights off for the rest of the day to allow it to settle into its new environment.

I float and toss everything except clams...corals, fish, crabs etc i just float and toss have never had any problems other than a hidden mantis but he is gone now

Back