Do you log your test results?

tokejr

Market
Reaction score
I set up a little form in my word processor so we could track the numbers on our test results. It's pretty amazing to see the changes in the tanks and helps when adjusting because you can see what changed.

Anyone else keep a written log?

No...I very rarely test anything unless there is a problem...i just do water changes every two weeks bout 20%

I keep a written log of test results (Ca, Mg, KH, SG) and any major maintenance tasks I have done (WC, GFO change, pH probe calibrations).

Regular testing can help avoid catastrophic tank crashes.

Here is my printable form, if anyone wants it:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Reef Con looks very cool. To this point I havn't logged anything due to consistancy. All pars are stable but if anything does change, I may use that download.

au01st;347709 wrote: I use this

http://www.infinitysoft.net/ReefCon/">http://www.infinitysoft.net/ReefCon/</a>[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried it on Vista?

<span style="font-family: VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL"><span style="font-size: 1-1px"> <p style="text-align:center">[B]<u><span style="font-size: 14px">Minimum System</span></u>[/B]
<p style="text-align:center">Intel Pentium 90 or equivalent
16 Megs RAM
10 Megs Free Hard Drive Space
SVGA display at 800 x 600
Windows 95
<p style="text-align:center">
<p style="text-align:center">[B]<u><span style="font-size: 14px">Recommended System</span></u>[/B]
<p style="text-align:center">Intel Pentium 200 or equivalent
64 Megs RAM
10 Megs Free Hard Drive Space
SVGA display at 1024 x 768
Windows NT or 2000
</span></span>

My method is rather simple: I keep a written notebook with the date and the test results for each tank. It helps me track changes in the tanks that may potentially correlate with water quality. I usually test every week or so, depending on the need.

blu_devl_06;347729 wrote: Dang it!! Not compatible with 64 bit system..... What now?

Can you run it in legacy mode?

I happen to have a few computers sitting around - 5 of them, in fact - and installed it on an XP SP2 desktop. Seems to work OK, but it wouldn't let me edit an entry.

Don't have the courage to try it on my 64 bit, Vista computer.

I came up with this; attached zip of an excel spreadsheet.
word docs are too bulky for my taste, I can whip out and expand a spreadsheet much faster.
Later on I may correlate averages and see what the results are over time.
Prior to today, I used the notebook and pencil method. ;)
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I didn't notice it either, maybe one of the admins can add that extension.
If you can use it, feel free. If you edit it and make it better, post it back. :)

something melded between your version and mine would probably suit any test out there.
I'll play around with the two and see what magic occurs later.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I downloaded a couple of the PC programs but i prefer to write it down. I picked up a couple "Aquarium Journals" at a sale and i like to use those better than a computer. Here's a link for any other pen and ink people out there.

a>

tgray3;347799 wrote: I guess I'm old fashioned. I downloaded a couple of the PC programs but i prefer to write it down. I picked up a couple "Aquarium Journals" at a sale and i like to use those better than a computer. Here's a link for any other pen and ink people out there.

http://www.aquariumjournals.com/">http://www.aquariumjournals.com/</a>[/QUOTE]

+1. I like to write it down. I keep a clipboard net to the area I test and record like that. But to each his own...as long as there is a record.

For me, the main benefit of recording testing results is that I can see trends start and take corrective actions before it becomes an issue..... especially things like adjusting a calcium reactor and dry dosing calcium and magnesium supplements.
Dave

I use a pencil and a spiral bound notebook. I guess I'm old fashioned (good thing since I was about to download ReefCon until I read that Vista is a no-go).

My mag numbers are conspicuously absent... I guess I need to start testing for that.

I have an excel sheet from the beginning. I only put a few entries in on it a month now.

I spent some time yesterday researching some free Aquarium Log downloads. Most come with a cost (and some don't look too bad for the price such as Aquarium Lab 4.0) but here is a freebee if anyone wants to check it out. It's basic but I suppose it would still work.
a>

Tokejr is my wife. Yeh she loaded it on my puter, since I run XP not Vista. Now I have a bunch of data to enter to catch up this data base. Have kept written records of critters, corals and tank testing, Lots of data written on forms we designed. I used to be a Q.C. manager for electronic, mechanical and chemical manufacturing also in charge of the labs so keeping records is just something I'm used to doing. It will be a pain to get all the written data entered into the data base but much easier to access when needed. Printed report much easier to read than my notes scribbled all over forms. Comment sections are never large enough for me even on forms I design. Could use one line of form for test data and a page for each line for some of my notes.LOL

Back