Do you strain your frozen foods?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
So.... I was at the LFS today talking about frozen foods. They said that after I thawed the frozen food in water that I should always strain off the added water because it removes the nutrients that the fish can't use. That I should only feed with what was left.

I've only had a tank for a little over a year but is this something that needs done? Do you strain off the water?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I dont... I melt it in a urine specimen cup and feed my corals the juice and then the fish the meat... I also use larrys.

personally, i like the juice for the corals although it might raise the phosphates a little.
try to use the good frozen foods and it would keep the #'s in check a little better.

My kh has dropped to 4. Would the food juice cause that?

I also feed the juicy parties to my reef , a lot of ppl say it's a good thing to do if you feed a lot of frozen food and are having excess nutrient issues

Tbub1221;1086430 wrote: I also feed the juicy parties to my reef , a lot of ppl say it's a good thing to do if you feed a lot of frozen food and are having excess nutrient issues

correct as long as you have a good skimmer and fuge to remove the excess i have had no issues!

Although my skimmer's decent, I always strain my frozen food. If I don't after a couple of days algae and cynao starts to grow.

I strain off the juices/rinse and keep the solids. I then add garlic guard and vitachem and let them soak in it.

Yeah I think answers on this will be all over the spectrum. If a tank is properly filtered and established it should be able to handle feeding with out rinsing of the "juices", but it is good practice to be careful on smaller nano tanks that would be more effected due to the smaller volume of water.

We rinse everything at the store, but as Genesis mentioned we also "re-soak" in garlic and vitamins afterwards

Mine is a 35 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.

I also feed with frozen food every day

GaJeep94YJ;1086462 wrote: Mine is a 35 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.

I also feed with frozen food every day

I think the "professional" answer would be to do some water tests on your nutrient levels through out the week and up until you are due for your regular water change. If you aren't swinging on the nutrients and the levels aren't significantly higher right before your water change then they normally are then you should be fine feeding the way you are.

It is usually people that are riding a "fine line" on what their tank can handle bio-load wise that have issues with overfeeding or are forced to rinse the food.

Jakub

I strain my frozen shrimp.
I just that it in a little tank water, then pour the top off after the shrimp sink and repeat a few times

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

GaJeep94YJ;1086423 wrote: My kh has dropped to 4. Would the food juice cause that?

No. Food has nothing to do with kh. Corals consumed it more than likely. I need to test KH at least a few times a week until you get your dosing regiment down pat, then cut back to once a week or every 2 if your tank is really solid. 4 is way too low...get it back up to 8 and try to keep it there

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I would only strain the food if you have an algae problem or elevated nitrate/phosphate. Otherwise it makes good coral food.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ;1086472 wrote: Sooooo. Does everyone dose? I never have :(

there are a lot of things to dose.
lots of people feed liquid food... lots don't .. if thats what you mean

So like everything in aquariums. Ask 100 people and you'll get 200 different answers.... Great

GaJeep94YJ;1086561 wrote: So like everything in aquariums. Ask 100 people and you'll get 200 different answers.... Great

Your question was vague and this thread is about food. Does everyone dose? That is relative to the type of tank you are keeping or trying to keep. If you're keeping a FOLWR tank then no, dosing is not necessary. If you're keeping light amount of LPS and SPS, then you can probably get away with just water changes or dripping kalk. If you're going for a full SPS tank, then dosing would be required. Then there is everything in between those examples. So, yes, you ask a vague question you're going to get a million different answers in all sorts of directions. Not saying you wouldn't if you were specific... But at least it would be more relevant to the question and you can find the common ground to decide what's best for you.

like civics said, it depends :)

NOTHING is required in this hobby, and there are 1000 ways to skin each cat. The truth of it is educating yourself on what your tank requires for its inhabitants (actually you should do that BEFORE adding anything to the tank). Once you understand that, you then must come up with a method for meeting those needs. Again, there are 1000 ways to meet those needs.

Case in point...civics said if you have an sps tank you must dose. While I would absolutely agree that is what I would do, its not 100% the only way. You COULD be successful by doing huge water changes every few days, but that is not practical nor the most economic way to do it....Most of the options in this hobby will revolve around two things, what is the most cost effective, and what is the most convenient. TYPICALLY the most convenient method is also the most expensive (at least upfront). I used to go with the most cost effective. As i have grown older, and also have more $$, I am willing to spend the money to have a more automated/self-maintaining system. This means i am able to have great success while having very little manual intervention/maintenance. That being said, someone willing to spend the hours doing frequent maintenance could have an equally great tank at a fraction of the cost.

that being said, this has nothing to do with rinsing food lol

Anyway, thats my $0.02 :)

Back