Do you use trace elements?

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
What is the latest and greatest on trace elements these days? I have used Brightwell but for some time and can't really say that I've seen anything growing like crazy. Aside from Coral Frenzy a couple of times a month I'm wondering what everyone recommends to get the corals fat and happy.

I does Cal, Alk, MAg, aminos (Acropower) and vodka and I mix zooplankton and reef chili with my frozen foods.

I dose various KZ/zeo supplements but thinking I won't need to re-buy half of them when they run out. Also maybe once or twice a week I'll dose Fuel from seachem. For feeding, I feed the fish reef frenzy twice a day which seems to illicit good feeding response from my corals also. With the lights out I try to feed a good amount of phyto and oyster feast alternating days.

tonymission;1011220 wrote: I dose various KZ/zeo supplements but thinking I won't need to re-buy half of them when they run out. Also maybe once or twice a week I'll dose Fuel from seachem. For feeding, I feed the fish reef frenzy twice a day which seems to illicit good feeding response from my corals also. With the lights out I try to feed a good amount of phyto and oyster feast alternating days.

Once I hit bottom with my nitrates, I'm thinking of adding KZ Pohl's Xtra to the mix. Tony, is that one of the things you are dosing, and if so, what is your opinion of it?

Declanisadog;1011221 wrote: Once I hit bottom with my nitrates, I'm thinking of adding KZ Pohl's Xtra to the mix. Tony, is that one of the things you are dosing, and if so, what is your opinion of it?

It's probably my favorite out of all of them. I alternate between that and Xtra Special every other day. The special just adds some nitrates and phosphates for tanks with low nutrients. I don't think I could be considered a ULNS system so i pretty much half dose everything. I think 1/3-1/4 dose would be a good place to start. Concentration of these supplements is insane ... Don't get carried away.

I'm still testing like crazy to figure out my Mag, Alk and Calcium use. It looks like I'll be dosing more Alk than anything else but the jury is still out since I switched salt two water changes ago.

I'll look into the Amino type stuff. The Brightwell Trace elements seemed to gel up on me. I had a similar problem last year and they said that if you get below 68 degrees in your home that may happen. Those are out, it's just hard to know what to replace them with.

rk4435;1011242 wrote: I'm still testing like crazy to figure out my Mag, Alk and Calcium use. It looks like I'll be dosing more Alk than anything else but the jury is still out since I switched salt two water changes ago.

I'll look into the Amino type stuff. The Brightwell Trace elements seemed to gel up on me. I had a similar problem last year and they said that if you get below 68 degrees in your home that may happen. Those are out, it's just hard to know what to replace them with.

I'm in the same boat. Testing and dosing Ca, Alk, and Mg and trying to figure out my weekly consumption. This part sucks lol. My Alk seems to deplete faster as well. As far as trace I was dosing the Aquavitro Fuel (amino acids etc.) and I was getting great results BUT..... it did give me an algae breakout. So I'm currently not using it until I can get that under control.

Back