What do you dose in your reef?

I use all for reef as well. Do very few if any regular water changes . 1.8 ml an hour In my 75 . Makes it easy using a komera x1 pump..

Also Red sea reef energy ab plus 6ml twice a day

A week ago I changed my 2 part so that they were equal volumes, they were a bit out of whack. I have to admit I haven't felt like I've been able to reach consistent levels. I blame myself for that. I've always seemed to struggle to keep my Alk up. If I want a CA of 425 what should I expect my ALK to be? My heaters had some precipitation on them but nothing I thought was abnormal. I cleaned them a month ago, for the first time in forever, and they haven't accumulated any since. They are the cobalt black heaters so it would show up easily.

View attachment 37615
I'm not going to recommend one product over another. Where your Alk is now your Cal should be 425-430. That would be pretty much right right on for inonic balance. Mag at 1400 or a little higher wouldn't hurt either.

After a bit of research I've decided to move forward with the Tropic Marine DIY All-For-Reef. Hoping to get started with the transition this weekend. I've already started some large water changes to get things stable.

After a bit of research I've decided to move forward with the Tropic Marine DIY All-For-Reef. Hoping to get started with the transition this weekend. I've already started some large water changes to get things stable.
After you are finished with the water changes you will need to adjust the parameters to where you like to keep them, then start the AFR.
For adjustment purposes it's still a good idea to keep 2-part components around to make adjustments after water changes or other tweaking when needed.

Thanks. Thats the plan. Just trying to figure out where I should be. I have a good bit of brs dosing media that should last me a while.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Thats the plan. Just trying to figure out where I should be. I have a good bit of brs dosing media that should last me a while.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Your brand of salt should dictate what your numbers are. Once your tank water numbers are the same as in your mixing barrel, then begin to dose the AFR to keep alkalinity between 7-9 dKH as they instruct.

** if you don’t like your numbers, find a brand of salt mix which will provide them.

How it works:
The All for Reef uses an organic compound called calcium formate to provide both calcium and alkalinity. Bacteria in your tank water will oxidize the formate part and liberate alkalinity (as 2 hydroxyl ions) along with 1 calcium ion in the process.

Your pH and alkalinity are directly affected by those hydroxyl ions. All 3 rise together. Don’t get lost on the chemistry or terms.

That leaves the calcium, which is tied to alkalinity in the ratio mentioned above:
2 alk’s to 1 calcium.

The minor/trace elements are provided in a balanced proportion to the above by the AFR & from your salt as well.

Once you have ‘tuned’ the AFR dose amount to achieve a stable 7-9 dKH, your system should behave like it’s on cruise control. Most still do regular water changes as well. Although some reefers have been experimenting with reducing the amount and/or frequency.

Last edited:
I have been dosing kalk and the Tropic Marin A-/K+ Elements with good results for the past year. I have previously used all for reef and liked it. IMO, starting out it just may be the simplest/best method of maintaining alk and calcium.

Quick update. I've been running "All For Reef" for a month now. So far, very pleased with the results. My parameters are surprisingly stable and my tank seems to be very happy.

I temporarily suspended water changes while switching and I'm doing my first 30g now, spread over two days with my DOS. My goal is 30g WC every 2-3 weeks until I completely use up my bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro then I'm switching to HW Marinemix since it should be more stable in longer term storage. Then I will move back to daily WC starting with 1g/day while doing some regular ICP ( switched to ATI ) water tests over time to determine if it's necessary to increase the WC volume.

Once I get back to doing daily water changes and things have settled in I'll reevaluate my parameters for any potential gradual adjustments.

Current Trident reading
Salinity - 35.9
DKH - 7.26
Ca - 410
Mg - 1319

Back