Do YOUR tangs hide like you're the devil?

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
Every time I approach my frag tank my tangs hide immediately. If I so much as look over half the time they hide. Is this normal for your tangs? Or are mine just a little yeller? I'm just curious, really.

Every time I approach my frag tank my tangs hide immediately. If I so much as look over half the time they hide. Is this normal for your tangs? Or are mine just a little yeller? I'm just curious, really.
For me, Blue hippos are always scared, and hide at any given moment. Yellow similar but little bit more brave than hippos. Same with purple and scopas ones.
However Vlamingi tang sees me and follows me around, I can feed him from my hand. Unicorn also. Maybe the bigger they are the braver they get?
Exception would be powder blue, which is just super aggressive toward anything. This guy fights my magnet even anytime I scrape the glass. Never hides away.

For me, Blue hippos are always scared, and hide at any given moment. Yellow similar but little bit more brave than hippos. Same with purple and scopas ones.
However Vlamingi tang sees me and follows me around, I can feed him from my hand. Unicorn also. Maybe the bigger they are the braver they get?
Exception would be powder blue, which is just super aggressive toward anything. This guy fights my magnet even anytime I scrape the glass. Never hides away.
I've got two blue hippos, two yellows, a purple, and a sailfin. They get along fine with each other, for the most part... They just hate it when I go near the tank, lol.

Maybe it's because I'm constantly working out of my frag tank? Hmmm. I'm not stressing them too bad though because they're fat, healthy, and come out the second I sit down or leave the room, lol.

Same for my yellow and kole tangs. They dart into the rocks when I walk by...even when I feed.

Nope, my tangs love me, at least that’s what I would like to think of it as.

they have associated me with food.

One would think after almost 7 months of having this frag tank up and running that they would love me because I feed them...but nooooooooo.

If I could go back, I would've skipped the tangs and just put in 8-10 clowns + a wrasse.
The tangs don't do much but poop everywhere. I have yet to see them eat any algae.

If I could go back, I would've skipped the tangs and just put in 8-10 clowns + a wrasse.
The tangs don't do much but poop everywhere. I have yet to see them eat any algae.
Mine are constantly grazing. Plus I just love them - they're definitely fun to watch. I just wish they'd come out when I was near the tank, lol.

I don't regret my fish choice. I'm going to take my 40g and turn it into a clownfish harem tank once I upgrade it to the 110 that's been sitting in my living room floor for ages, lol.

When I go near the tank :My hippo hides like a baby Great Dane trying time squeeze into bizarrely right spots, my kole tang could care less and just darts about the tank in and out of everything, and the Sailfin tries to show me who is boss. She will challenge me even if I am just looking in the tank and not touching... lol

Kole tang is crazy and Couldn’t care less what’s happening. He’s more worried about trying to clean the foxface (I have to get video. It’s kinda crazy)

Yellow hides if I’m within reach of the tank but if I step back 2 steps he’s fine

Hippo is only 2 days in our tank so I’ll see.

Nope, my tangs love me, at least that’s what I would like to think of it as.

they have associated me with food.

sometimes when I reach into the tank, they would peck me....maybe for food

Same here, my fish associate me with food and come to me when at my tank. Only my blenny nips me though.

Same here, my fish associate me with food and come to me when at my tank. Only my blenny nips me though.
Same for me, my Stary blenny doesn't like anything new in the tank. The tank boss is the big Yellow Belly Regal and is fine with just me near the tank but as soon as a second person, no matter how small, walks up she going into hiding. The Kole and Purple get skittish but still swim around. The Tomni in the frag would always go into a hiding spot as soon as there's any movement near the tank.

I have a chocolate mimic tang that's a pretty good size that is such a chicken and is one of the biggest fish in the tank. I have a hippo tang that's a bit more cautious but not as bad.

Yes. I only have Tomini tangs and they are a little jumpy. The one in the frag tank is better but they'll both hit the hardscape if I approach too fast.

my tangs have started biting at my hands when i feed nori now i had to start cutting it into strips and putting in the tank because they started ripping the clip off every time i put it in there if they all werent so healthy and plump i would swear they were starving the way they act

my tangs have started biting at my hands when i feed nori now i had to start cutting it into strips and putting in the tank because they started ripping the clip off every time i put it in there if they all werent so healthy and plump i would swear they were starving the way they act

Straight facts xD they all have a nice plump tummy on them but they act like they NEVER get to eat.

Back