Does anyone have a plywood sump?

kayakatl

Market
Reaction score
I am debating between a plywood sump and 150 rubbermaid stock tank sump. Although I like the cost efficiency of a plywood box and a pond liner I cannot for the life of me think of how I would add baffles with out putting holes in the liner not to mention how easy it would be to put a hole in it 1000 ways.

You could make it like the plywood aquariums... I think they coat the wood with something... epoxy maybe.

Do a search on plywood aquariums. They are made without the pondliners, and with good enough bracing, they last a good while without leaks.

They do seal them up with epoxy, fiberglass, etc... Pretty interesting, really. It has been noted that the money savings aren't there unless going with 500 gallons or more, though. If you go that route, keep us posted, and best of luck!!!

weather its a money issue or not id say go with the rubber maid stock tank cause itll last you much much longer and if you end up upgrading in the future you could always use it as a mixing tank or a short term storage tank.

If you get a large stock tank instead of baffles how about putting smaller container's in it. Then they would fill up add.spill.over to the next chamber

So after spending some time reading about it... no plywood sump. As a contractor I have access to tons of free scrap plywood, but honestly, I have enough projects going on that I do not need to deal with epoxy resin, and at the end of the day the rubbermaid is just a heck of a lot easier and easily upgradeable down the road. However I do think the plywood tank thing is pretty interesting!

Back