Does anyone have the new LED light systems and how do you like it?

parmoffitt

Market
Reaction score
Do you get the glitter shimmer in the water like the MH lights or do you forgo that look?

I don't want heat issues in my 90 gallon but want the extra color the 250W would give the spf corals. I have no canopy but wondered if I upgraded to 250W would hanging from the ceiling help cool the tank?

Those that went ahead and got LED lights, are you glad you did and did the corals color up like you expected?

I am trying to decide which way to go.

Patty

If you can afford it, they look really nice. Not quite as good as MH, but with zero heat output, it's a very livable difference. The colors really pop nicely with the 20K units. It won't give you that 1' deep pacific reef lighting that MH lights can, but they're more than capable of growing nice SPS and clams. The lack of heat transfer makes for a healthier tank, IMO, unless you run a chiller with the MH which gets back to cost.

It's a steep buy-in, but if you have heat issues in your house, it can save you a lot of money in the long run. Less heat means less evaporation which means less work for your whole house AC.

Thanks a lot for the information. It gives me much to think about weighing the pros and cons.

Back