Does anyone love their skimmer

atlorange

Supporting
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations in sump skimmer for 68 gallon tank. I was thinking Vertex 130, but too many reviews say its finicky. Right now I am leaning toward a Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1. Anyone have something rock solid running on a similarly sized system? This will be a heavy SPS system.

I loved my SCA-302 when I was running it. Space saver design, cost effective, set it and go kind of skimmer that worked very well. While it was a great skimmer, I LOVE my Reef Octopus skimmers. I've had 3 and currently running the XP-3000 on my 180. It was a bit more finicky to set up but once dialed in, it performs like a beast!

I have never had one that I loved, but I also never bought quality. I am looking forward to putting a RO to use on my new build ( got it for Xmas) sometime this year.

porpoiseaquatics;1023302 wrote: I loved my SCA-302 when I was running it. Space saver design, cost effective, set it and go kind of skimmer that worked very well. While it was a great skimmer, I LOVE my Reef Octopus skimmers. I've had 3 and currently running the XP-3000 on my 180. It was a bit more finicky to set up but once dialed in, it performs like a beast!

+1 the SCA-302 I got from Jeff worked like a charm. But, I outgrew it and now I run a Reef Octopus 3000. It's a beast and never overflows.

porpoiseaquatics;1023302 wrote: I loved my SCA-302 when I was running it. Space saver design, cost effective, set it and go kind of skimmer that worked very well. While it was a great skimmer, I LOVE my Reef Octopus skimmers. I've had 3 and currently running the XP-3000 on my 180. It was a bit more finicky to set up but once dialed in, it performs like a beast!

Told you Jeff hehehe. Glad you liking the skimmer!

I love my Vertex Omega 150. Ever since I switched from my reef octopus it's been consistent and pulls a cup of crap a week. Very happy with it n

Don't love my sro3000 (air intake nipple/nozzle gets partially restricted too easily) but it gets the job done.

Reef octopus 150 classic pulls mad skimmet , its the best performing skimmer I've ever owned , but its not the quietest although its no louder than any comparable cone skimmers , my tunze 9002 is an awesome nano skimmer and virtually silent but its just not effective on larger systems but I've wondered how the big tunze way in

I've run a RO NIB 110 for 3 years.
It's currently on my 75 (TWV 90) mixed reef.
It's easy, does a good job and I've never had an issue with it as long as I give it a vinager bath every 6 months.

Go with the vertex 150. It's a much better skimmer than the 130.

atlorange;1023299 wrote: Looking for recommendations in sump skimmer for 68 gallon tank. I was thinking Vertex 130, but too many reviews say its finicky. Right now I am leaning toward a Aquamaxx ConeS CO-1. Anyone have something rock solid running on a similarly sized system? This will be a heavy SPS system.

I don't hear too many complaints about the Aquamaxx, in fact I think I'll pick one up for my 40br eventually. The only thing indont like is you have to run it in about 9" of water.

Skriz;1023414 wrote: Go with the vertex 150. It's a much better skimmer than the 130.

why do you say that Raj? i just got the 130 but i could always send it back if there's a huge difference.

too funny...... brett got that sca-302 from jeff, i got it form brett, greg got it from me, dont know whet it is right now but that just goes to show it's a durable skimmer and a work horse.
it produced some really good skim but whats more funny is that all of us are running reef octopus now but all just upgraded for different reasons.
don't want to make your decision more difficult but if they were selling stock in reef dynamics, i would buy some, I've had the smaller one on my old 120gal. for 2 years with no issues and skimmed tractor grease.
stop on by when you get some time, we'll have coffee and talk skimmer.

I am with Sean and Skriz on the Vertex Omega 150. That's what I have on my 90 and it works great. It is my first and only skimmer but I am happy with what it is pulling out. I don't have as much of a bio load though that you will. If you start with the best you will get the best. It is worth the money.

Skriz;1023414 wrote: Go with the vertex 150. It's a much better skimmer than the 130.

Thinking about going with the 180i. Would be overkill, bit I like the internal pump design much better. Do you think this would work for a tank of 75 gallons total volume?

18 posts and the choice is obvious...right? lol

I'm sure this is somewhat what you expected though.

J.B.;1023546 wrote: 18 posts and the choice is obvious...right? lol

I'm sure this is somewhat what you expected though.
Ha ha. Yup. I know skimmer choice is very personal. I would really like to make the right choice the first time with this build. Which would be a first for me, but of course this will be my first non-nano tank as well.

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Vertex or one of the 50 or so models that Reef Octopus sells. Lol.

Back