Does anyone love their skimmer

I have a skimz sm160 - it works, but it was a pain to tune in. I'm not sure that it's doing a great job. I feel like I should have more skimmate. Then again, I only have 2 fish atm.

I have a Super Reef Octopus XP 5000 with the neck cleaner. It's a cone skimmer and this thing is a beast and by far one of the best skimmers I've ever owned.

Lots of good skimmer suggestions in here... Just me, I would look for a good used bubble king mini 160

I had a ATB skimmer and it was the best. Easy to setup and maintain. My next big system will have another ATB

My Bubble Magus has been impressive in the week that I've had it running. I havent gotten around to fine tuning it yet and it already has some really nasty looking stuff in the cup.

Picoreefguy;1023422 wrote: why do you say that Raj? i just got the 130 but i could always send it back if there's a huge difference.

There's not much of a price difference, so unless you just don't have the money or space, go with the 150.

99% of skimmers aren't rated properly at all, which makes it VERY difficult for the consumer to accurately compare and choose skimmers. So, your best bet is to err on the side of bigger rather than smaller.

atlorange;1023506 wrote: Thinking about going with the 180i. Would be overkill, bit I like the internal pump design much better. Do you think this would work for a tank of 75 gallons total volume?

If you don't have the space, then sure. Otherwise, drop down to the 150 or move up to the 200i. I'm not a fan of the 180i at all, really; not much dwell time possible.

tonymission;1023626 wrote: Lots of good skimmer suggestions in here... Just me, I would look for a good used bubble king mini 160

See, I'd go with the BK 150 or 180 double cone. I hate the minis. Sure, they're space saving, but there's very little dwell time and volume possible. So, you're not getting much skimmer for your money.

Look at it this way: if it was a liquor bottle, the mini holds very little liquor; the rest of the "bottle" is taken up by the pump and the plate, etc. You get a lot more juice with the double cones :)

Skriz;1023681 wrote: There's not much of a price difference, so unless you just don't have the money or space, go with the 150.

99% of skimmers aren't rated properly at all, which makes it VERY difficult for the consumer to accurately compare and choose skimmers. So, your best bet is to err on the side of bigger rather than smaller.

well there's a $150 price difference but that's not a big deal. i got the 130 because its rated for tanks up to 100g so i figure it should be fine on my 40 breeder. and height is another deciding factor, i only have about 26" to work with inside the stand and the 150 is 2" taller than the 20" tall 130. so ill take all the extra wiggle room i can get. i'm just glad it wasn't some huge flaw with the 130 that doesn't exist in the others.

Picoreefguy;1023684 wrote: well there's a $150 price difference but that's not a big deal. i got the 130 because its rated for tanks up to 100g so i figure it should be fine on my 40 breeder. and height is another deciding factor, i only have about 26" to work with inside the stand and the 150 is 2" taller than the 20" tall 130. so ill take all the extra wiggle room i can get. i'm just glad it wasn't some huge flaw with the 130 that doesn't exist in the others.

I seem to recall it was less than $100 difference.

BUT, the pump and impeller for the 150 are better. I know early on the 130 had major pump issues, but I'd have to think that is resolved now (I haven't checked, though). The 150 has the beefier pump.

Skriz;1023685 wrote: I seem to recall it was less than $100 difference.

BUT, the pump and impeller for the 150 are better. I know early on the 130 had major pump issues, but I'd have to think that is resolved now (I haven't checked, though). The 150 has the beefier pump.

oh i was looking at both on brs and they are 249 and 399 respectively. maybe brs is having a sale on the 130 or something. ill look into the pump issue and see if its been resolved. if not i may send it back or upgrade the pump. even if there is ill probably run the skimmer first and see if there's an issue with mine

I love mine

Aquamedic turbofloater5000 twin. I did have to cut a hole in my ceiling though LOL......

nassar0505;1023752 wrote: I love mine

Aquamedic turbofloater5000 twin. I did have to cut a hole in my ceiling though LOL......

It's true, I got to see it the other day. That skimmer is a BEAST

Thx everyone for input.

Does anyone run one of the Regal RO DC skimmers?

Back