Does anyone use a PLC controller?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
You know, I use to install and do a little programming on PLCs in a manufacturing facility. I was just looking the reefkeeper system, and I was wondering why a person couldn't just use a PLC for teh ultimate in reef controlling. Does anyone do this? I was thinking even a cheap PLC would be sweet to play with. I use to fool with SLC 500s and other stuff I have forgotten the name of (all AB stuff). Anyways, just wondering aloud (sorta).

No, but I do Home Automation Systems and I have been working on using UPB technology. It is a powerline carrier technology like X10 but is about 99.999% reliable. I have to get my vendor to let me have access to their API to be able to bring in the readings from probes. It is not a cheap solution by any means, but if you are going to put the money into a home controller, might as well tie your tank into it as well. the cool thing is you would have access to your system from anywhere in the world, even your mobile windows phone. You would be able to see and change settings and device states. Also, you could get emails when certain events happen, ie. temp goes above "x" or whatever.

I've always liked the idea of home automations as well. Of course, I have very limited knowledge in the area, as I was primarily an installer/troubleshooter. I just had some training in logic, so I did a little of program mods/troubleshooting on occasion. I just see that you can get older PLCs like the old SLC 500s on ebay for pretty cheap. If you could just get a good deal in the software and cable, you'd be in there for some experimentation. Now that I think about it, I cant even remember what program I fooled around with.

Wow, I never heard of X10. I looked it up, and seems really interesting. You mention that UPB is almost 100% reliable, but where does that put x-10?

X-10 is about 99%. It gets a bad rap an will act up rarely but it's cheap and still a reasonable option in most cases.

It's older technology, I have been using it with controllers on my reefs for years now.

There's a new technology out called Insteon that looks to 'fix' the deficiencies in X-10 (http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx">http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx</a>)
I've got a bunch of X-10 stuff but will probably start moving some of it to Insteon (it'll also control X-10).

As for the PLC controller...I've been toying with using a Basic StampII micro controller to play with as an aquarium controller. (In reality it'd much less time consuming and more reliable to buy a RKII or ACjr, but it might be fun to experiment!) I use a Stamp processor on some of my halloween stuff (doesn't everyone have computer controlled props on halloween!?) and the coding is pretty simple.

i had read a thread on rc about some people who used the ocelot plc to control their fish tanks. it seemed to be pretty flexible when it came to what you could control.

A PLC would definitly work. The reason you don't see them a lot is the cost compared to existing technology is prohibitive. If you want to do it on your own and play by all means but when your looking at $300 for a controller such as the AC3 then your working on less then mcdonalds wages by the time you set something like that up.

corvettecris;150107 wrote: Wow, I never heard of X10. I looked it up, and seems really interesting. You mention that UPB is almost 100% reliable, but where does that put x-10?

kwl1763;150110 wrote: X-10 is about 99%. It gets a bad rap an will act up rarely but it's cheap and still a reasonable option in most cases.

It's older technology, I have been using it with controllers on my reefs for years now.

No way does X10 hit 99% reliability. In very specific cases, you might get that, but on the whole it is no where close. X10 is highly susceptible to interference from electrical devices located within or outside the building you are running it in. I have had customers lighting control devices turn on and off due to a neighbors house. To make X10 work reliably, you need specific firewalls to shield the outside interference and filters within the home to filter inside interference. UPB is far and away a better solution

KRB;150362 wrote: No way does X10 hit 99%

I agree technically but disagree practically. Reliable X-10 systems send the same command several times to make up for the ocasionally stomped on signal. I rarely, if ever see any of my X10 stuff out of control. Of course I have an active phase bridge which increases the reiability quite a bit. Even UPB isn't 100% accurate, that's why they built it 2 way so they can send acknowledgments so they know when to resend corrupted control signals.

kwl1763;150256 wrote: A PLC would definitly work. The reason you don't see them a lot is the cost compared to existing technology is prohibitive. If you want to do it on your own and play by all means but when your looking at $300 for a controller such as the AC3 then your working on less then mcdonalds wages by the time you set something like that up.

I agree, PLCs would work great and would make a very flexible control system. The problem is by the time you buy all the components that are included in an ACIII, you might as well buy an ACIII because its probably cheaper. If you have access to some surplus or retired PLCs, you could make a go of it...

Schwaggs;151407 wrote: I agree technically but disagree practically. Reliable X-10 systems send the same command several times to make up for the ocasionally stomped on signal. I rarely, if ever see any of my X10 stuff out of control. Of course I have an active phase bridge which increases the reiability quite a bit. Even UPB isn't 100% accurate, that's why they built it 2 way so they can send acknowledgments so they know when to resend corrupted control signals.

I would assume your X-10 signals aren't being sent very far within your setup as it works better as the signal transmission distance is shortened. Prior to UPB becoming a popular technology, I used Lightolier Compose for lighting control is residential applications. Across the entire grid of a medium to large size house, interference from motors, appliances, and various power supplies could be a serious problem.

The biggest advantages of UPB over X-10 are digital vs. analog signal, addressing of devices, and packetizing of the data. with the available possibilities of device addresses, the chance of two devices having the same address across a grid is VERY minute. Also, UPB gen 2 has dropped the signal propagation time to a rediculously small timeframe. The biggest problem with UPB is that it is inherently made for residential 2 phase systems. working in commercial / multiple dwelling units with 3 phase systems poses some issues that take UPB down a level. There are workarounds, but it can be a pain.

Kirk I don't disagree with you (you know this stuff way better then I do) but properly setup for a fish room it works really well. I have mine on dedicated circuits, no e-ballasts, with short runs and never have any issues.

I do know when you start talking whole house automation, jumping circuits or god forbid panels you can run into some major issues but for our aquarium apps it will work perfectly fine with some planning!

Whole house automation or just randomly using then ya I probably would go with better technology.

kwl1763;151466 wrote: Kirk I don't disagree with you (you know this stuff way better then I do) but properly setup for a fish room it works really well. I have mine on dedicated circuits, no e-ballasts, with short runs and never have any issues.

I do know when you start talking whole house automation, jumping circuits or god forbid panels you can run into some major issues but for our aquarium apps it will work perfectly fine with some planning!

Whole house automation or just randomly using then ya I probably would go with better technology.

You are absolutely right. In the setup you discribe, it should work very well. And it is relatively inexpensive, which is a plus. Also, there aren't any controllers for the aquarium that use UPB anyway. I would think it will move that way in a few short years. It is just a superior technology. If I can find the time to work out a solution using a home control system, I will let everyone know. It will be a much bigger investment than an ACjr. But, it will control your whole house as well, which is the proper reason to invest in a system. Save money on your energy bills and be able to control your tank from anywhere in the world. You would be able to see and control your tank from any computer in the world, your cell phone, you could dial in to your house and hear what is going on with your tank, or get emails when things happen, like water overflowing, etc. It would be the ultimate way of controlling your tank. I get excited just thinking about it.

How do you go about interfacing with pH probes and the like when using a home automation solution?

Do you have to have a pH controller, and then interface serially with the controller or something like that?

Karl

that is what I am thinking. You would need a serial interface to transmit data into the system.

Schwaggs- I thought this thread has been a little amusing to watch... don't you agree? :)

Gwhiz;150116 wrote: There's a new technology out called Insteon that looks to 'fix' the deficiencies in X-10 (http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx">http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx</a>)
I've got a bunch of X-10 stuff but will probably start moving some of it to Insteon (it'll also control X-10).

As for the PLC controller...I've been toying with using a Basic StampII micro controller to play with as an aquarium controller. (In reality it'd much less time consuming and more reliable to buy a RKII or ACjr, but it might be fun to experiment!) I use a Stamp processor on some of my halloween stuff (doesn't everyone have computer controlled props on halloween!?) and the coding is pretty simple.[/QUOTE]
Check out the PICbasic compiler.

I started with a BSII-SX, but I quickly ran out of inputs and their A/D functionality is crap and takes up too many I/O lines. I quickly moved to a PIC6680. It's a 68 pin PLCC package with something like 50 I/O lines and 10 A/D channels. I needed 30 outputs and 15 inputs so it seemed the best option. $17 for the chip, 1/3 the price of a stamp and 3x the power and features.

I haven't finished it but the plan is to talk to a PC running Windows 2000 Server and an GUI application with a LCD touchscreen interface, and a voice modem for attendant based phone control using DTMF.

Anyway, the PIC chips are far cheaper than the Basic Stamps, and with the PICBasic compiler you can program them in a nearly identical language to Basic Stamp.

... and a PLC would be a neat idea. I've got some AB and GE Fanuc stuff lying about, not a bad idea. The ladder logic makes it easy to program, but I don't have anything capable of A/D so I couldn't read in temp/pH/orp/etc, let alone serialized output or anything for driving an LCD, so the things would have to be pretty much hard coded, not sure it that's what I'd want.

Back