Does anyone use Metal Halides anymore?

BrandonMason;1045082 wrote: I have to respectfully disagree with the wattage of cheaper leds. Reef breeders leds use 3 watt bridgelux and many of our members here use them with great success. Hanija (spelling) has one of the best looking led lit sps tanks imo. I think the radions are to powerful for the beginner. I'm not saying they aren't great lights. They are wonderful if your wallet can take the punch. I personally would go with orphak over radion.

You are right there are many great LED manufactures out there. I was just directly comparing the Radion to MH. in that sense. I really don't know of any other LED brands that use 4-5watt LED nodes. Either way if I were in the market for more LEDs I would be buying Kessil. Best bang for the buck right now imo. I'm really eager to check out the next Kessil fixture units coming.

aXio;1045084 wrote: You are right there are many great LED manufactures out there. I was just directly comparing the Radion to MH. in that sense. I really don't know of any other LED brands that use 4-5watt LED nodes. Either way if I were in the market for more LEDs I would be buying Kessil. Best bang for the buck right now imo. I'm really eager to check out the next Kessil fixture units coming.
I like the Kessel as well. Dave is running an experiment on two different units in his frag tank atm. My problem with led manufacturers is they don't really design lighting for large tanks without buying 6-8 units. And in that case I'd have to stick with mh or t5.

BrandonMason;1045085 wrote: I like the Kessel as well. Dave is running an experiment on two different units in his frag tank atm. My problem with led manufacturers is they don't really design lighting for large tanks without buying 6-8 units. And in that case I'd have to stick with mh or t5.

Agreed, that why I'm happy Kessil is coming out with the new units. Nice one unit options for large tanks.

Halides over 2 tanks, 1 kessill over a IM 40, max spec over 37, stock PC on 12 JBJ, and led retro in 12 JBJ...

aXio;1045074 wrote: Way too many variables to truly compare any light to another light. While wattage isn't really the main/only factor in good a LED, Radion uses true 4+ watts per LED node. Most LED brands barely get past 1-2watts per LED node. This does make a difference in par/spectrum penetration. But so many other things come into play such as color combination (which Radion also has arguably the best color combination in the new Gen3s), Lens/Reflection technology, control-ability, etc. But in any case which ever form of measurement you want to use Radion will beat all other LEDs (As far as I know). Weather it's wattage, Par readings, light spread, etc...

Awhile back there was an artical comparing all the LED manufactures, and they did it like a college march madness bracket. Maxspect razors won. I have yet to see an impressive SPS system running on radions... However, I have seen several with maxspects lol

led for well over 4 years and this has all grown back in the past year after losing it all in the ice storm last year.
showthread.php

Removed my Led's over my 93 cube and decided to go with a brand new ATI SunPower Dimmable 8 bulb awesome fixture. I run 250 watt radium's and Tuna Blue Kessils on my frags system. Led's just did do it for me with SPS. However, my chalice collection loves full spectrum Leds. Since installing the ATI Fixture, my new SPS is loving the fixture. Great polyp extension and I can certainly tell there loving the new lighting.

I still use two, 400 watt radiums over my 100. I did add a Reefbrite xho for looks before and after.

i find it baffling that on the national boards,tons of folks have outstanding sps dominant led lit reefs but those around Atl struggle with them so much.

I have 2 MH that I am selling for $150 it comes with 1 replacement bulb. I got it with a set up that I purchased and don't need them. If you are interested let me know and will get you pictures.

Ha, didn't take the time to read the TON of responses above but I've got both.

Did you move far from me (your old house)?

If you would like to check out this awesome Kessil Tuna Blue on my frag tank, it's here.

Also on my 75 gal I'm running both Radion Led and 2 Phoenix 175W if you want to "compare"...

Hey I've also got a 5 head Baby Breath Favia frag (from the one I got from you) that grew over another plug. If you want it, it's yours.

reeferman;1045124 wrote: led for well over 4 years and this has all grown back in the past year after losing it all in the ice storm last year.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100269">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100269</a>[/QUOTE]It's all about the spectrum NOT par. Leds are hit and miss and and there's several factors that come into play such as the led quality and type, led sequence and time frames and the led drivers. Reggie, you have aced the spectrum with your LED build and you should be proud of this accomplishment.

I have and I've owned or used many of the different LED brands of fixtures on the market today. Sure I can keep the SPS alive and growing, but not at the same level as I see running with MH's. If you were to take a poll from a large number of serious SPS reefers, I'm sure you will see that MH's will over power the response as far as growth.

Reefkeeper;1045356 wrote: It's all about the spectrum NOT par. Leds are hit and miss and and there's several factors that come into play such as the led type, led sequence and time frames. Reggie, you have aced the spectrum with your LED build and you should be proud of this accomplishment.

I have and I've owned or used many of the different LED brands of fixtures on the market today. Sure I can keep the SPS alive and growing, but not at the same level as I see running with MH's. If you were to take a poll from a large number of serious SPS reefers, I'm sure you will see that MH's will over power the response as far as growth.

I think it would hold true to coral color intensity as well.

Oh and by the way, I have an ATI T5 fixture on my show tank at this time and the SPS is loving the T5's because of the ATI fixed bulb spectrum.

Back