does everybody qt new fish?

etoh_is_good

Market
Reaction score
since i've been reading on marine ich, i would like to know who the responsible ARC reefers are.

I don't. I should. I had a 5.5 gal qt tank up for a while, but never used it, so I took it down. I just planned on dipping any new fish and crossing my fingers. Also, I did/do not really plan on buying any in the near future anyways, so the whole not buying them thing helps, too.

I voted for # 2 even though the way it is worded makes me sound naive. I do try to buy only healthy fish from disease free tanks, but c'mon, really, there is no way to be sure.

I would say this works for Dawgdude because he is probably very familiar with who he is buying from instead of just looking at the tank and declaring it to appear disease free.

same as corvettecris

I rarely buy fish, though (one in the past 4 years.)

dawgdude;171347 wrote: Certain fish are more resistant to bacterial than protozoan and vice versa. I think knowing that and feeding a diet tailored to your fish is key. I supplement my fish's food with garlic, focus and metronitizone. If I think I see some signs of bacterial then I will throw in some kanaplex but that is rare with the fish I keep. I think the biggest thing is just knowing the early signs so you can treat accordingly ASAP and having the correct things on hand so you are not scrambling to get them when there is a problem.

Oh, and I forgot to add that he knows what the heck he is looking for too, unlike myself... ;)

I'm in the same boat.. It depends on the fish and where it came from... I have a tang that came from Donalds tank, even though I didn't get it from Donald himself.. I knew what tank it came from, so no QT... Other fish that I know are prone will be qt'ed

It depends on the fish. If I've seen them eating and such, then i temp acclimate them, grab them with my hand and throw them in tank water. I then usually run meth blue and formalin 3 for an hour. I then net the fish and "wash" them with clean tank water and in the display they go.

The max I will QT a fish is a couple of days. They're better able to fight off disease in an established system with food.

Yes, all my ish get qt. Have not had ich since starting new tank. I dip all fish when i get them as well.

How about the what is a fish option? Yes, I qt new fish but try to keep fish to a minimum anymore and more into corals. I actually did not QT the hawkfish in my Biocube because he is the only fish and is basically quarantined anyway LOL

I don't dip fish when I get them, and I really don't consider what I do as a quarantine. It's more of an adjustment for the benefit of the new/stressed fish rather than a protection of the existing display from a diseased fish.

After having several fish die in Q/T, cowering in the corner of the tank or huddled in a lonely section of PVC I was about to give up on the practice altogether. When I learned at the last meeting about putting fish in a low-stress, established adjustment tank, it made more sense.

The tank I keep set up has plenty of cover (live rock) and low light for the first few days while the fish is being fed fed fed fed and fed. Once the fish is robust, healthy and able to handle his own with his new tankmates, he can go into the display. Amount of time in the isolation tank depends on the stress level of the fish and how quickly it gets fat and healthy.

I've never QT'd. I only temperature acclimate for 10 minutes and then in they go. Most of my fish come from the diver's den though and they're always healthy.

Linda Lee;171545 wrote: I don't dip fish when I get them, and I really don't consider what I do as a quarantine. It's more of an adjustment for the benefit of the new/stressed fish rather than a protection of the existing display from a diseased fish.

After having several fish die in Q/T, cowering in the corner of the tank or huddled in a lonely section of PVC I was about to give up on the practice altogether. When I learned at the last meeting about putting fish in a low-stress, established adjustment tank, it made more sense.

The tank I keep set up has plenty of cover (live rock) and low light for the first few days while the fish is being fed fed fed fed and fed. Once the fish is robust, healthy and able to handle his own with his new tankmates, he can go into the display. Amount of time in the isolation tank depends on the stress level of the fish and how quickly it gets fat and healthy.

yep, this is how I aproach quarantine. I also do not dip or medicate them unless I find them to be sick in the quarantine process. I know its comon practice to dip but I try not to expose my fish to chemicals unless deemed absolutly neccesary. Kinda organic reefing if you will.

how about the "yes, I qt but only try to buy healthy fish from disease free tanks"option also?:)

I used to quarantine everything....and I had more losses in quarantine than I've ever had in the DT. I haven't really added many fish since breaking down the QT tank, but I've been careful where I get my livestock and haven't had any problems.....yet.

I'm curious to know how everyone determines that their fish are coming from a disease-free tank without taking a water sample and doing a culture in a lab. You can't just look at a tank or a fish and tell that it's disease-free anymore than you can look at a person and tell they're disease-free.

If the symptoms are bad enough, sure, you'll see something, but just because the fish doesn't have any signs of problems doesn't mean that it's disease free.

To everyone that doesn't dip and/or QT: you just haven't been hit by a bad loss yet...

mojo;171726 wrote: I'm curious to know how everyone determines that their fish are coming from a disease-free tank without taking a water sample and doing a culture in a lab. You can't just look at a tank or a fish and tell that it's disease-free anymore than you can look at a person and tell they're disease-free.

If the symptoms are bad enough, sure, you'll see something, but just because the fish doesn't have any signs of problems doesn't mean that it's disease free.

To everyone that doesn't dip and/or QT: you just haven't been hit by a bad loss yet...
I should have chose my wording better. I meant to say I try not to by from tanks that the other fish are showing signs of disease.

I picked the first one, only because the second sounded silly to me.. I agree that you can't really "KNOW" that the fish is heathy.

That being said, I try to only buy fish from stores that have had them for a while, that I've seen eat, and I generally trust. I bring them home, float them, and then add 1/2 cup of DT water, take out 1/2 cup of water in their huge bowl every 15 mins until I have doubled the amount of water in the bowl.

So far, I have not had a single outbreak of anything, and the only three fish I have ever lost were the two PJawfish that I bought the minute they came in the store (those lasted about 2 days) and the Copperband from Jamie (have NO IDEA what happened there, but he wouldn't eat)

Again, I probably only still do it this way cuz nothing has ever happened that was bad enough to change me- but it's worked for me for 4 years now :)

The second one is hillarious actually, especially if bought from LFS tanks.

I'm the lone 1 on the bottom who actually qts for 5-6 weeks and treats if need be. It still amazes me that literally every published expert in the hobby agrees that we should qt but somehow most hobbyist still don't.

Back