Doing a water change while maintaining water level

dakota9

Market
Reaction score
Some time ago, I found an ebay auction where some guy was selling info on how to change the water in an aquarium without having to let the water level drop. Some how putting new water in as old water was exiting the system. The auction claimed that it would work for any system, which tells me the secret has nothing to do with a sump, and had virtually no opportunity that would include mingling the old water with new, meaning that the water being changed had no new water in it.......

Any body have a clue what I'm talking about? Sounds like a neat way to do a water change....

two matched parastaltic pumps will do that. They can also be used for continuous water changes.

Not the most efficient way of doing things from a nutrient export perspective, but if your going for stability it cant be beat.

I pull my change water from the sump so im good.

Btw dakota, your avi reminds me of "sex panther" from anchor man.lqtm, just a random thought.

For my frag tank, I put a bucket of new water next to the sump with a small pump that I plug into my ATO. I pull the water from the tank and once the ATO turns on it adds the new water to the input of the sump so the new water has to travel all the way through the sump and then up to the display. I'm sure I get some of the new water mixed into what I'm taking out, but only after I've already removed a couple of gallons.

it could perhaps be done by displacement of a sealed container lowered into the tank where as old water would be forced into an overflow and the new water in the container then released ?

All you need to do is put a power head in you new water and plug it into your ATO. Run a tube from the power head to the sump. Start syphoning water out of the tank. As the level drops the ATO puts in the new water. I have been doing this for quite a while with no problems and I do test parameters all the time. No mess.

I put a 50 gallon tank in the basement that is plumbed inline with the system. I bypass this tank, drain, fill, mix overnight and introduce the new water without changing any levels.

Btw dakota, your avi reminds me of "sex panther" from anchor man.lqtm, just a random thought.[/QUOTE]

Sex Panther? I haven't been called that in years.......

Dakota9;294679 wrote: Btw dakota, your avi reminds me of "sex panther" from anchor man.lqtm, just a random thought.

Sex Panther? I haven't been called that in years.......[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean you HAVE NEVER been callled that?... don't think being called a P***Y counts as being called a sex panther LOL:lol2: :D

Seems to me you have a MJ1200 pumping water out of the tank at the same time you have a MJ1200 pumping water into the tank?

Why would you want to do this? Are you worried about the corals being exposed to air?

grouper therapy;294635 wrote: it could perhaps be done by displacement of a sealed container lowered into the tank where as old water would be forced into an overflow and the new water in the container then released ?

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a bladder system. A submerged bladder displaces old water, so it is removed. THen, the bladder slowly relases its contents. THat would achieve exactly what you are talking about. Possible, but not really economical I would think.

Derek_S;294808 wrote: Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a bladder system. A submerged bladder displaces old water, so it is removed. THen, the bladder slowly relases its contents. THat would achieve exactly what you are talking about. Possible, but not really economical I would think.

GOD don't say bladder slowly releasing itself this morning!

MvM;294801 wrote: Why would you want to do this? Are you worried about the corals being exposed to air?

More over, would be the likely hood a BTA would havwe anchored itself high on the rock pile. Such a water change would be much less streesful.

Nah. I have a sps at the top of my tank. The longest branch actually is out of water every few seconds when the wave lowers. Corals survive for hours out of water in some areas during low tide. When I do a water change, I'm in no hurry to get them back under water. I think you're overthinking it. If you were really worried about it, just change the water in the sump and refill.

Agreed. The only things that seems to even moderately suffer from being exposed during my water changes in the coraline algae. The only reason I would contemplate this option is so I dont have to depower the darned vortechs. They need to make a standby for them!

grouper therapy;294635 wrote: it could perhaps be done by displacement of a sealed container lowered into the tank where as old water would be forced into an overflow and the new water in the container then released ?

Very clever!:up:

Back