Dosing Idea

geno

Market
Reaction score
While I haven't used a powder form of the A/B dosing routine -- and frankly, I'm not that consistent with the liquid approach. I got to thinking that it would really be slick if someone produced the A/B dosing solutions in tablet form.

For example, when I use the Brightwell stuff it says the rate is 5ml per 25 gallons. As you know from your testing kits -- 5 ml is a very small amount. Measuring that out daily is a PIA -- if it were in a 5ml tablet that you toss in the sump and it dissolves slowly -- now that would be cool and easy.

I'm surprised someone hasn't made it yet because that's a great idea! It may have something to do with the process of compressing things into a tablet. Maybe that throws things off or something...

I use a needle/syringe to measure out dosing, then squirt in front of the return pump, seems easy to me. You can get them cheaply at the store, like <$.25 each. I have about a dozen I keep on hand, also makes testing easier.

I also have syringes -- but when the liquid gets low in these large containers -- it's a pain.

I'm going to send a recommendation to Jeff Brightwell (I think his name is Jeff) -- He's replied to a few emails I've sent him. I'll let you know his take on this idea.

There is/was such a thing. It was called Sea-Lab 28.

I used to have a source for it - not sure if I do anymore (I'd have to check) but I see Race has it:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4166">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4166</a>

Jenn

geno;336753 wrote: I'm going to send a recommendation to Jeff Brightwell (I think his name is Jeff) -- He's replied to a few emails I've sent him. I'll let you know his take on this idea.

Chris Brightwell :) He's a friend of mine (and used to be my client when he lived down the road).

Jenn

i don't see why it wouldn't work, tablets are just super compressed powder... but I have never seen powder 2 part dosing.. then again, I haven't really look

I had a couple of customers who used it. Without sounding disrespectful - they didn't have outstanding tanks. But I wouldn't say that was because of the product - more like they didn't invest a whole lot of time/effort on their tanks... and as such, they looked alright - but those who take the time to tweak a bit, have nicer tanks. I think because their other time commitments precluded them from keeping a dosing schedule (as well as other general housekeeping) they chose this product - that way if they were out of town or whatnot, their interim caretakers did not have to fool around with dosing etc.

I was given a sample of the larger (commercial sized) blocks to try - did no harm, but I can't really say if they did anything or not - because I did not use them long term.

They dissolve over time - biggest issue that I found was getting them into the right amount of flow. If there's too much flow, they dissolve too fast. Too little, they don't dissolve quickly enough. I don't have a product info sheet anymore - but on Race's site it says that 3-4 blocks per 50g should work for a week or so.

Jenn

Hey Jenn,

Thanks for the correction on Chris's name. I sent him a note.

Interesting that someone has made the calcium side of the dosing routine. How about the ALK side? That always seems to be my issue -- not CA.

Anyway -- thanks for the post and reference.

My concern is that it would create a localized supersaturation. The tabs would become nucleation points for carbonate compounds with calcium and magnesium.

Carty;336779 wrote: i don't see why it wouldn't work, tablets are just super compressed powder... but I have never seen powder 2 part dosing.. then again, I haven't really look
Most tableted products require a binder of some sort to keep the tablet from falling apart in the bottle, plus an excipient that keeps the tablet from sticking in the tablet die after stamping. These are usually sterates (fats) or starches (carbohydrates), polysaccharides or simple sugars, or sterols and often include Mg++. K+, or other Periodic metals that would be problematic as salt or nutrient input unnecessary for the tank. We pay a TON for RO/DI water to avoid micro amounts of nutrients from getting into the tank, yet here we are discussing adding nutrients to the system (CHO and possible phosphates) in mg amounts as a matter of convenience... see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excipient">this link on tablet additives</a> for a broader explanation of how tablets are made and what and why these substances are added.

I'm not too sure that I would want to trade theseissues of nutrient or salt accumulation for the convenience of tablets or gel-caps (that would introduce CHO, amino acids and some proteins to the tank in milligram amounts) when there is a no-nutrient alternative available for less per-dose pricing.

HTH

I figured there would be a "catch"! I also reasoned it might be something to do with the actual formation of the tablet. I'm just glad we have a couple of nerds around here who can 'splain it!

texhorns98;336854 wrote: I figured there would be a "catch"! I also reasoned it might be something to do with the actual formation of the tablet. I'm just glad we have a couple of nerds around here who can 'splain it!

Tom can splain the chemistry that's for **** sure.

texhorns98;336854 wrote: ...just glad we have a couple of nerds around here who can 'splain it!
We prefer the term "geeks"... ...rhymes with "reef" much better.

:D

As you wish, Tom...as you wish. Seriously, it's nice to have the knowledge. I now know who payed attention in chemistry classes!

Hi Tom! Long time no see/text!

For clarity - I didn't necessarily recommend these - I sourced them for people who wanted them and tried them out myself... but since the OP posed the question, I simply provided info that it has sorta kinda already been done.

Jenn

who looks like an idiot...

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; this guy

haha

Back