Drain tank to get a fish

A1Abeach

Supporting
Reaction score
My name is Jeff. I have this powder blue tang that has gotten to big and not catchable Due to my arch. So my question is if have three people here to help drain the tank low enough to get the fish in two minutes replace the water all in 5 to 6 minutes how much harm might I do to my coral? I would take all my coral onthe sand or loose and place them in a container prior to starting. And would it affect any of my coralline algae on the back wall Or rock. Thanks Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 45
I've done maintenance on my tanks and left corals out of water for more than a few minutes...I'm sure that they'll be fine.
If you're very worried turn your lights off before starting.

I will say given your rockwork - I'm not sure if lowering the water will make catching the fish any easier.

I once had to do the same thing because of a powder blue. The way he swam circles around one of my new fish drove me crazy. I drained it down to about 2 inches. Then it was totally easy to grab him. I don't think it will be problem.

I wouldnt worry so much about the corals. 10-20 mins probably wont do much.. It might piss them off for a few days but should be fine. The softies and lps are sometimes in intertidal areas that do drain down throughout the day. I would suggest using two nets at the same time and even maybe get some egg crate and try to divide the tank off

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

In my experience, tangs are the easiest to catch in a trap because they are such aggressive eaters. I had to drain my 200 gallon tank to the sand 4 years ago to get a wrasse out so I could let the tank go fallow after a velvet outbreak. Corals were pissed off, but life finds a way...

UPDATE: From start to finish it took 15 minutes. The coral was out of water 10 minutes. A successful extraction of the powder blue tang. Thanks to Carlose and my wife for helping me through this stressful extraction.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpeg
    IMG_0526.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 18
Back