Drilled my frag tank(s)....uhh ohhh...

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
Well, let me start by saying I've drilled so many tanks I can't count them all. Probably in the 100's. I've never broken one EVER.

I was drilling the bottom of my 4x4' frag tanks. The **** sealing surface CHIPPED. The chip extends beyond the sealing surface of the gasket, so I think I've pretty much screwed myself.

I was/am going to try some sillycon under the rubber gasket to attempt to seal it. The tanks are only 8" tall, so there isn't a ton of water pressure there, but still.

My other 2 thoughts are using a larger bulkhead (if they make one...these are 2"), OR cutting out the bottom and flipping it over.

Not sure if the glass sucks, or why they chipped, so going bigger might just chip again...

Problem with flipping the bottom over and re-sealing it is the bottom is a "floating" bottom, so the sides are sealed to the perimeter of the bottom, not the top....IE: the whole **** thing would need to come apart :mad2:

I've had such crappy luck with things and reefs going my way lately, it's not even funny.

Thoughts?

well i dont know to much about drilling tanks but it sounds to me that maybe you could use a time out and grab a beer or two and then go back at the tank in a couple hours. I know that when i get frustrated with something like this its a lot easier to deal with when i leave it alone and then come back in a few hours.

Sounds like a plan. I spoke with a guy at <u>http://www.glass-holes.com">www.glass-holes.com</a></u>

Came up with a plan using a piece of acrylic. 4" round piece, with a 3" round hole in the middle. Seal the acrylic "washer" down to the tank, then put the bulkhead on the piece of acrylic.

Anyone know if Marine sealant/goop is fishtank safe?

you could also get to peaces of glass and cover the whole on both sides and drill another hole its just a frag tank not a display so you can get away with it jmo either way good luck and dont smash anything ;)

Victor626nj;123380 wrote: you could also get to peaces of glass and cover the whole on both sides and drill another hole its just a frag tank not a display so you can get away with it jmo either way good luck and dont smash anything ;)

I don't know why you'd need to cover both sides. Just drill a piece of glass, line it up over the existing hole and silicone it in place. (In my case, I'd drill 3 or 4 of 'em and then use the one that I didn't screw up!--and I'd drill first so screwing up was an option!)

I think george has a winner. Silicon to glass is a very strong bond.

I like the idea of a sandwich as well. Using a larger piece of glass and silicone over the chipped out hole.
You might also try looking into making yourself a gasket out of rubber or norprene. I am pretty sure they carry "make your own size" gasket material at Lowes.
Good luck. :)

I've got a 5.5" piece (round) headed my way with a 3" hole. Instead of using sillycon, I'm going to try the gasket method. Should be here monday. In the mean time, I've got the overflow boxes glued in, and the sump plumbing started as well :)

Back