Drilling on the west side

redstang

Market
Reaction score
I've decided to go ahead and drill my brand new and beautiful 60gal cube :yay:. I figured in the grand scheme of things the tank is nearly the least expensive part of starting up a new tank so might as well try to do it the way I want it the first time. Have a couple questions.

So, anyone on the west side have experience and feel like helping?

Is a 3/4" bulkhead going to be large enough for the return for a 60gal?

I'm planning on drilling it along the back wall in the overflow area so it still stays hidden. I'm pretty sure there's still plenty of room for a return line in addition to the two drains. I have a brand new drill bit from BRS so that should be good.

Any other advice?

Go slow, no pressure, keep bit wet and go slow.

A 3/4" locline return will do about 1140gph

Also, make sure the glass is not tempered or it will shatter

Clay4AU;909161 wrote: Go slow, no pressure, keep bit wet and go slow.

A 3/4" locline return will do about 1140gph

Also, make sure the glass is not tempered or it will shatter

Not tempered anywhere so good there. Thanks for the info on 3/4". Should be more than enough.

JBDreefs;909163 wrote: You tube it! It is simple. No worries.

Hadn't thought about that! Thanks!

Piece of cake. But, as has been said, no pressure. Let the bit work. Takes some time but worth it. If you are drilling, go Bean Animal. You will be glad you did.

rdnelson99;909169 wrote: Piece of cake. But, as has been said, no pressure. Let the bit work. Takes some time but worth it. If you are drilling, go Bean Animal. You will be glad you did.

Already have 2 holes on the bottom in the overflow and not enough room for a third. If I'd picked up a non RR tank I would have. I'll be going with the Herbie.

Yeah it's no problem. It took me about 10 minutes to drill each hole on mine. I had a helper hold a hose at slow trickle while I was doing it. Also keep the drill running pretty slow. Seeing a pattern here? lol

Sent from my iPhone using
m

grouper therapy;909248 wrote: Bring it on buy I will drill it. Just up the road in Hiram. No charge.

Thanks for the offer! If I get it outside and just can't bring myself to do it I'll take you up lol! Pretty sure I'll get it done this weekend. Watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch and feel comfortable that it's not that bad as long as you go slow and let the weight of the drill do the work.

Go for it. Its easy. Convert return to a drain. If same size u pick but if smaller than the drain make it the full siphon with gate valve. Don't use ball valves as they are harder to adjust.
The third pipe is for emergencies or startup. mine is only used when restarting after WC. U could drill the back and turn u a street elbow if u desire.

sent from my Atari 2600

RedStang;909731 wrote: Thanks for the offer! If I get it outside and just can't bring myself to do it I'll take you up lol! Pretty sure I'll get it done this weekend. Watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch and feel comfortable that it's not that bad as long as you go slow and let the weight of the drill do the work.
When you chuck the bit in the drill do so that it slips really easy and that helps if you bind the bit.

grouper therapy;909844 wrote: When you chuck the bit in the drill do so that it slips really easy and that helps if you bind the bit.

Thanks!

I remember reading that or hearing it on a video but I'd forgotten that tip. My drill sucks at holding onto bits anyway so that'll help.

Back