Dt

fishgardener

Market
Reaction score
I got more DT at the MACNA conference than I was able to use.(I have mostly softies, just a little sps) I have two unopened bottles that will expire on Jan 15. I have been shaking them every day as per directions. Do they keep longer than the bottle says. Can they be frozen? I hate to throw it out. Cost too much! Any ideas?

I wouldn't push it much past the expiration date. I've heard bad stories about people that put bad or expired DT's in the tank with very negative results. But to each his own i guess.

The DT's will last longer than the expiration date. The nutritional value declines over time and the nitrates build up. Keep shaking them...maybe even start you own green water cultures and grow your own.

You can also try freezing it. I know that some of the fish breeders that use the instant algae products will freeze some of the product in ice cube trays to extend the useful life. They pour it in to regular ice cube trays, then after it freezes, put the cubes in to freezer packs to keep them fresh. Then just take out a cube and thraw it when they need to use it. I don't see why that would not work with DTs but I have not tried it.
Bob

Back