Dual Chamber Ca Reactor vs Single Chamber Ca Reactor

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
It's time to do maintenance on my Ca Reactor and I figured that while I'm doing that and have it out of the stand, I would ask this question of the audience.

What is the advantages of using a Dual (2) chamber calcium reactor versus one that is a single chamber? On a dual stage, the affluent from the reactor goes through another, smaller chamber. In my case, the 2nd chamber was filled with a fine ARM whereas the larger chamber is filled with large sized ARM. Is this really doing anything by processing it basically twice?

Here's the basic reason for my question. It's about space and how much equipment requires maintenance. I could free up a little space by only having a one chamber reactor. I've added a kalkwasswer reactor to my equipment and it is connected to my ATO so it's feeding about 1.5g per day of kalk rich fresh water. So again, the question, does using a dual chamber Ca reactor have any real benefit?

LSU_fishFan;1068096 wrote: I thought that using a dual chamber acts as a ph buffer.

That's what I was told too but from a logic standpoint, I don't see how that can be. If both chambers have ARM and they dissolve at the same pH, then you are dissolving both at an equal rate.

The main chamber will dissolve media at a ph of x. The effluent from that chamber will then flow into the second chamber. Through the dissolution process, the co2 will be consumed and the solution will have a higher ph (y). Y will dissolve media at a much lower rate than x. So, the second chamber will provide a slightly richer effluent. It will also consume more co2, thus buffering the effluent.

If your system is large enough and you have buffering capabilities, or your dosing kalk which has a very high ph, you can skip the second chamber.

Make sense?

Skriz;1068103 wrote: The main chamber will dissolve media at a ph of x. The effluent from that chamber will then flow into the second chamber. Through the dissolution process, the co2 will be consumed and the solution will have a higher ph (y). Y will dissolve media at a much lower rate than x. So, the second chamber will provide a slightly richer effluent. It will also consume more co2, thus buffering the effluent.

If your system is large enough and you have buffering capabilities, or your dosing kalk which has a very high ph, you can skip the second chamber.

Make sense?

It does. I was hoping you'd answer the ? and you have. But what if the kalk input isn't at a high enough of a rate to counter the CaR's pH? I have the pH probe on my CAR set at 6.5-6.8 and I believe that Kalk is at about 12.0.

That's good for me so now I'm going to remove one piece of equipment...the 2nd chamber.

porpoiseaquatics;1068106 wrote: It does. I was hoping you'd answer the ? and you have. But what if the kalk input isn't at a high enough of a rate to counter the CaR's pH? I have the pH probe on my CAR set at 6.5-6.8 and I believe that Kalk is at about 12.0.

That's good for me so now I'm going to remove one piece of equipment...the 2nd chamber.

Your sand bed will provide buffering. Kalk is 12.4, I think, so it will help a good bit. Biggest thing you'll see is your alk level stability go through the roof. Also, adding different types of calcium does wonders (calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide); corals love a little diversity :)

What about supply pumps and or valves to eliminate clogs without spending a fortune in medical pumps.

FF337;1068150 wrote: What about supply pumps and or valves to eliminate clogs without spending a fortune in medical pumps.

Mine has it's own circulation pump (Eheim 1260 I think) and is fed by a MJ1200. It will eventually be fed by a manifold off of my main pump.

Does the drop stay constant? I have had an issue in the past with the effluent line clogging. I want a true set and forget it operation.

FF337;1068164 wrote: Does the drop stay constant? I have had an issue in the past with the effluent line clogging. I want a true set and forget it operation.

Never had a problem with the line clogging. I have a constant drip at about 1 dps. The only time I ever had an issue with clogging was when my drip line was to long and was below the water surface. One I cut it above the surface....no more issues.

Skriz;1068139 wrote: Your sand bed will provide buffering. Kalk is 12.4, I think, so it will help a good bit. Biggest thing you'll see is your alk level stability go through the roof. Also, adding different types of calcium does wonders (calcium carbonate and calcium hydroxide); corals love a little diversity :)

Raj makes a really good point here, my Alk has become much more stable since introducing a KalkRx in conjunction with my CalRx. I was having Alk swings with my CalRx by itself, now it stays a constant 9.5.

ghbrewer;1068230 wrote: Raj makes a really good point here, my Alk has become much more stable since introducing a KalkRx in conjunction with my CalRx. I was having Alk swings with my CalRx by itself, now it stays a constant 9.5.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Does anyone use an MRC 2 CalRx using a pH probe? I have a extra top w/pH probe opening but don't know which chamber to put it on.

Urbanknight;1068329 wrote: Does anyone use an MRC 2 CalRx using a pH probe? I have a extra top w/pH probe opening but don't know which chamber to put it on.

That goes on the main chamber

If you use both kalk and calcium reactor, is it bad to have both outputs near each other?

Agree with above. I have both of mine coming in through the cutouts in my sump for dosing lines, right next to each other.

Back