Dumb water change frequency question

RonS

Reaction score
So, I’ve been dealing with the aftermath of dish soap in my tank (it’s creating a foam that is a perfect matrix for algae growth), and poisoning my tank with Bayer after all the coral I added from the frag swap (shrimp dead and haven’t seen a ‘pod in weeks).

So far, I’ve done 3@ 45% water changes (48 gallon DT with another 30 or so I’m the sump). This “theoretically” has me to about a 90% dilution rate. Soap extraction at the skimmer has finally slowed to a crawl and I was able to turn the pump speed back up to the usual setting without overflowing.

I did one of those 45% changes yesterday. I want this nonsense over with... any reason why I shouldn’t do another 45% tomorrow, or is that too soon? The first three changes had 1-2 weeks between them, but this would be two days.

I’m sure it’s fine, but I always feel better when the geniuses confirm :)

Thanks in advance, geniuses!!

—Ron

I see no problem with that. I’d even do a 15-20% Chang daily for about a week. I’d also add a couple ounces of bacteria like biospira to the sump every other water change.

Thanks, Dave! I forgot to mention that I'm adding Seed with each of the major changes.

The problem is affording the dang 15% - 20% daily changes!! :p But I may just need to suck it up - when I kicked up the skimmer pump speed again, I'm getting more soap out : ((( only a fraction of what was before, but man, I can't believe how tenacious this stuff is!!

Plus, I really want a shrimp back in there, but I've killed two now with the residual Bayer, trying (I'd blame the wrasse, but I also don't seem to have 'pods any more...).

Definitely need to take the better-safe-than-sorry approach. Sigh.... Marine Depot loves me : )

Only 20 or so more trips back up the stairs with a pair of 5 gallon buckets, I guess!

Thanks again,

--Ronm

Thanks, Dave! I forgot to mention that I'm adding Seed with each of the major changes.

The problem is affording the dang 15% - 20% daily changes!! :p But I may just need to suck it up - when I kicked up the skimmer pump speed again, I'm getting more soap out : ((( only a fraction of what was before, but man, I can't believe how tenacious this stuff is!!

Plus, I really want a shrimp back in there, but I've killed two now with the residual Bayer, trying (I'd blame the wrasse, but I also don't seem to have 'pods any more...).

Definitely need to take the better-safe-than-sorry approach. Sigh.... Marine Depot loves me : )

Only 20 or so more trips back up the stairs with a pair of 5 gallon buckets, I guess!

Thanks again,

--Ronm
If I were you I would consider a pump, hose and remote control socket!

Just think of the workout!!!

I am - THAT'S the problem!!! :oops:

The tank is in the basement, and I'm on an ejector pump down here. I do not want to keep it full of salt, because I do NOT want to replace a poo pump!! : D

I have all the parts to program my own controller, and part of that will be an AWC process - probably 5% weekly, on a continuous basis. For that, I will use a high-flow dosing pump and lift the tank water up to the house drain, by passing the ejector. But for a big change, it's still going to be schlepping up the stairs. I did install an industrial condensate pump - it can handle boiling water from my humidifier, wonder if it's rated for salt water....?

Dang, it only says for "higher volume standard condensate removal", so I think that's a no-go for lifting salt water.

Schlepping up stairs it is!! : )

Back