Durso standpipes

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
So I've read a couple of threads that talked about these. Saw a couple of links and behold! there are DIY plans for one of these. Now, I'm talented enough to build my own so I go looking for 1 1/4" thinwall pipe as suggested and guess what.....I can't find any in the city of Cumming, Alpharetta, Roswell, Suwanee, Norcross so does anybody have a clue as to where I can get some?

I have my overflow down right now because the bulkhead started leaking and since I decided to just put a new one in, this seemed like a good time to install a Durso.

HELP!!:unsure:

Home Depot and Lowes carry schedule 20 pipe. If they are out just use schedule 40.

Yeah- the size of the walls of the pipe isn't all that critical. Heck, the size of the pipe isn't all that critical, either - I use 1.5" sch 40 with no problems.

Really??!?? That's very interesting because the guy who makes the Durso swears that Sched 40 won't work.

I looked at HD and they said they didn't have thin wall.

I can't even see why that'd make a difference - we're talking about millimeters here. The durso standpipe isn't fine-tuned enough to even make a difference in operation.

Well I found some 1-1/4" thin wall at my local ACE Hardware of all places. Got the rest of the stuff at Home Depot. Total Cost...about $10. I have plenty of 1-1/4" left over if anybody wants to build one. You just need the remaining couplings.

Mojo....you say it's not finely tuned enough. In what ways? Before I build one of these I guess I should ask if it will signficantly quieten my overflow from the standard 1" with the open top/sponge filter?

porpoiseaquatics;397015 wrote: Mojo....you say it's not finely tuned enough. In what ways? Before I build one of these I guess I should ask if it will signficantly quieten my overflow from the standard 1" with the open top/sponge filter?

Much in the same way that adding 3oz of water volume to your tank will make a difference. It *will* - just not significantly.

The durso will most definitely make your overflow quieter. But it's not some precision device that needs to be measured to the nth degree. I think you went out of your way for no real benefit, but if it helps you sleep better at night, go for it.

LOL....I see your point. Luckily for me...ACE is about a mile from my house. I didn't have any 1" laying around anyway. Now the funny part of the story is...there may not be room in my overflow for the 1-1/4" so I may end up using 1" anyway. I laugh at myself!!! :lol2:

I found the durso to be very loud in my system. I switched to a Hofer Gurgle Buster and it's more quiet than my MH ballast fans. It's a bit more work to build, but works great in tight overflows.

I have an adjustable standpipe if you need it.

Just checked out the Hofer Gurgle Buster web page. Pretty simple build actually. It doesn't say though if the 5" of 1" pipe is good for any depth overflow or not. Anybody else have experience with the Hofer vs the Durso? I only want to do this once!

You put an adapter on the upper end of the pipe and make the pipe as tall as you want, then put the Hofer on top of that using the adapter. Start out with the pipe up high and move it lower in increments. til you find one that allows surface skimming and is quiet.

porpoiseaquatics;397048 wrote: Just checked out the Hofer Gurgle Buster web page. Pretty simple build actually. It doesn't say though if the 5" of 1" pipe is good for any depth overflow or not. Anybody else have experience with the Hofer vs the Durso? I only want to do this once!

I used the Hofer on a nano tank, where I had less room. Worked well enough. I feel safer with the Durso because of the volume of water it can drain; I had at least one overflow with the Hofer - the Durso can't overflow, by design (within reason).

I ended up building a Durso from 1" thin-wall. The 1-1/4" just wouldn't fit. It seems to be working fine so far. Hard some surging during startup but that settled down once I got the pump return and the downflow volume in synch. The durso seems to still be alittle noisy....probably because I've not gotten the water level in my overflow exactly balanced yet. I'll keep working on it. This was a simple build and at a cost of about $5.

Look at the durso web site - they talk about the vents being modified in the top to quiten it down .

there are several different mods but i think the most popular one is to use multiple small holes in the vent cap vs increasing the diameter of one hole.

another Mod has a bleeder type valve glued nto the cap to adjust the airflow.

And just out of couriosity, is it a sucking sound you are getting or a falling water? i am about to set up my corner drilled 55 in a week or so and was going to build a durso for it.

Cwalt;398808 wrote: Look at the durso web site - they talk about the vents being modified in the top to quiten it down .

there are several different mods but i think the most popular one is to use multiple small holes in the vent cap vs increasing the diameter of one hole.

another Mod has a bleeder type valve glued nto the cap to adjust the airflow.

And just out of couriosity, is it a sucking sound you are getting or a falling water? i am about to set up my corner drilled 55 in a week or so and was going to build a durso for it.

What was happening was I wasn't getting a good level in the overflow so the water didn't make it as high as it should on the Durso. Now I've gotten the downflow adjusted to match the incoming and it works like a champ!

I made the gurgle buster drains. It was simple easy and super quite.

Back