dying sps

jamescook

Market
Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody can clue me in to what may be causing these millepora to die off?
overnight one was completely gone. white. and another and another is in the process of shedding it's skin?
there was an aiptasia nearby.
but look at the birdsnest new growth. weird.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
202175=12097-deadmilli.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
202175=12097-deadmilli.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="deadmilli.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
202175=12098-dyingmilli.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
202175=12098-dyingmilli.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="dyingmilli.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

it's a mess in the tank getting ready for the new one, but maybe the birdsnest is too close to the millie? i moved it away. at this rate, millie number 3 will be gone by the end of the day

Its not your birdsnest, becuase they are not touching. Also I have several frags of millies on a shelf right now next to a birdsnest. They have touched several times and its always the birdsnest that show the damage, not the millie. I second Barbara, what are the tank parameters? Water change, change in temp, light, etc?

I must admit i hardly ever check the water. everything tests out perfect.
1.024 at 78 degrees. ph 8.4 and ca and kh right on. no trites or trates or amonia

I did a major water change when it was moved 2 weeks ago. temp seems to be holding at 78

This rtn thing has been going around lately. Nobody has come up with a solid reason as to why, but it has been happening quite a lot. Rit lost many colonies when he was still in. I have lost dozens of colonies also. Water changes will not help; you just have to sit back and watch them die :(

It eventually tapers off.

Good luck.

i'm reading about rtn right now. with the move (and we dunked everything in flatworm exit and a h2o rinse) i'm sure things were stressed. took a few days to open back up. but why 2 weeks to rtn? and why just the mille?
nobody tell slayer! i've lost the stag and now 3 mllies

please post all of your current parems including:

Light
Flow
Calcium
Alk
Trates
Mag
Phosphates (what test kit?)
How long have u had them?
Aquacultured?
Do you have ant algae growing in tank?

I too had a maricultured colony RTN. It was in my system for about three weeks and one night I noticed the bottom had lost all tissue. In two days it was completly gone.

I have current sundial t5 fixture. sps at highest point of reef
plenty o flow with 10x through the filter and a tunze6101 in the tank
calcium at 15 drops on the api test
alk at 12drops api test
0ppm trates
don't have a mag test, but i do add some strontium&molybdenum& iodine from time to time along with reef vital dna and marc weiss snake oil!
0 phosphates api test
I got these frags from slayer after the tornado...3-5 months maybe? probably cultured. I'm sure you giys know more about these than i do.
very little algae
check out the healthy growth and condition of one an inch away.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
202238=12102-millies.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
202238=12102-millies.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="millies.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

well, if they were stressed out, it's a good shot that it could have been that. What size tank? Sorry, at work. Please keep up with your all measurements at least. Also, mag, how are u dosing calcium & Alk? How are u dosing mag? Are u using GFO?

so strange that one is affected and one an inch away not. definitely were stressed abit, but most look great and are showing substantial growth in the 2 weeks since the move.
this is my 58 g w/o the mangrove fuge at present
Please keep up with your all measurements at least. I've just got my method going and it seems to keep everything going. the times i actually check it's always in the zone.
I dose kalwasser and reef builder manually on alternating days.
don't really know about mag or GFO?
I can't believe you actually take time from work to check in on the newbies.
thanks a lot! this club is pretty impressive
lot's of reef addicts!

your flow is most likely enough, however, it might be too direct or stable or not enough in certain parts since you have only 1 PH. I assume it's not on a controller?

In stressful situations, not all corals behave the exact same way all the time. When I had high phosphates, my slower growing corals did a much better recovery than faster growing vs new vs maricultured.

I would do a water change and keep up with your testing until things settle down. I might not test for weeks, but all of a sudden, something doesn't appear correct, so I test more frequently. Get yourself a Elos Mag test kit and a decent phosphate kit, i.e. DD Merck, HACH, Colormeter, or maybe even Elos.

I have 2 tunze and a controller, but it's just too much for this 3 ft tank. I've just had the one on for 2 weeks. setting up the 150 display tomorrow! flow may be an issue, because the first one to go was the fastest growing millie in a new dead zone after the move. but all the lps look great and they grow a lot faster than the millies.

maybe too much for a 3 foot, aiming correctly and dialing down; it should have worked. Oh well, your moving them anyway! Just measure critcals after you have it set up.

I to have been seeing this in some of my own corals lost three in the last month. Stag, Monte, digita. Yup sad sad day.

dawgdude;202292 wrote: Haha sounds to me like you blasted the flesh right off. When you get the 150 set up give me a ring and ill help you place your corals and with the flow. If you keep having problems then LMK and ill bring over some extra test kits.

although you very well could be correct, and at this point; it's a "mute point", however, look closely at the first pic.............that birdsnest appears quite close, i'm thinking that the flesh would rip off of that before an acro?
anyway, we'll see how it goes. could just be a freak thing.

well, that alright, I can't keep a Birdsnest alive to save my life! It's the only thing, well besides skunk cleaner shrimp. WTF?

If it is RTN welcome to the world of keeping SPS. After 13 + years I've had many SPS just up and die, with no real rhyme or reason. My last casualty was earlier this year when my 8" table up in was gone in 3 days flat.

Best suggestion is if you see this happening try fragging above the RTN in good flesh and try to save it. Sometimes it works some times it doesn't.

Either way loosing SPS sux especially the LE.

Back