Easy SPS without dosing?

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
Hi all. I currently only have one tank set up and it's a small 15 gallon peninsula. I would like to add some bird's nest and montipora, but I do not dose this system. I used to dose my tanks and with my new setup, I like that I don't have to do much maintenance.

I know this is always a good topic of discussion, but would a 20% weekly water change with reef crystals be enough to sustain decent growth?

Yes, 15g is not a lot of volume, so it won’t be as stable as a larger tank (as well as have a smaller maximum capacity), and therefore slow the growth of SPS corals... so you shouldn’t use a lot of calc or carbonate.

A 20% weekly change with a reef salt should more than compensate for any consumption.

Be careful dropping the nutrients to rock bottom with aggressive waterchanges.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I would suggest a auto waterchange with a daily schedule. More frequent small water changes will help maintain consistency in a small system. I do think that nutrients becoming too low could end up being the problem with a small setup life this one.

I would suggest a auto waterchange with a daily schedule. More frequent small water changes will help maintain consistency in a small system. I do think that nutrients becoming too low could end up being the problem with a small setup life this one.
Always wanted to rig up something like that. A continuous change of maybe a half gallon a day would keep consistency. I have a few old ATOs I might could rig to do this :)

Back