EEL in reef question

jamos5790

Supporting
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever kept an eel in a reef tank and everything went ok? I have a problem cause I got a new tank and want an ell so bad, I miss my old snowflake that I had for like 6 yrs, but my wife wants a reef tank out of it and I would like a reef also.

look into one of those yellow dwarf eels. (not sure what the exact name was) But i think they still eat snails, crabs and shrimp

Thnx for the pics, I am going to get one soon, just wanted some others ipinions about this and if they had any success.

no shrimps, no gobies.

i'd avoid small crabs as well.

you're asking a carnivore, by nature, to behave. i don't think it'll work.

jade76;154742 wrote: jin(futureintrest) has a couple in his reef...pm him and ask

golden moray eel. they stay small and thus, couldn't fit anything outside a mysid in its mouth.

i saw under the wave keep one for over 3 months... man, they're cool.. :wow2:

I have http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/eels/goldendwarfmorayeel/">this</a> one in my reef. There's a pic on my blog... second page I think. It's literally my favorite thing in the tank. Not everyone appreciates eels, I think Dakota said it looked like a skinned frogleg :). If you do want an eel in the reef though like I did, then this is the only one that is "reef safe". I have tiny gobies, small flasher wrasses, small shrimp, snails, and hermits. This thing doesn't bother any of them and in fact many of the fish bully it around!

I'm not sure what they eat in the wild because they don't have the sharp front teeth of a fish eater. Nor do they have the rounded teeth of a crustacean crusher. They almost appear toothless. It's been in my tank for a long time now and doesn't hurt a thing. That being said, who knows what it might eat if it ever got the urge. So far its been nearly a year and so good.

Go with a White cheek dwarf moray if you don't want to spend all that money. I put one in my mom's 29 BC and he is just a doll. He's a crustacean eater so he leaves my stuff alone except for MAYBE the smallest hermits. On occasion I'll feed him clams on the half shell, because I have no clams in that tank.

In the big 350gal here at school we just added a Zebra Moray. Again they are crustacean eaters so he leaves everything alone. He's a great hit with the visitors especially the kids.

With any addition size is very important, make sure you get something that really works with your tank as eels are VERY sensitive to poor water quality and need to be able to move around. Note the teeth. Sharp teeth are meant for grabbing fish, flat teeth are for grinding shells however the rule of thumb is always "if it fits in my mouth I'm going to eat it". So always be prepared for that.

To compensate for this, I've always trained my eels to garlic. Because they have HORRIBLE vision and amazing olfactory senses eels are great at hunting food they smell. So I just stuck to soaking everything in garlic to make sure that he responds to that more. It makes life in the reef a little easier when he isn't constantly being triggered.

My past eels:
Japanese Dragon Moray
Zebra
White Cheek
Snowflakes
Tessalated
I'm a sucker for 'em...

We did a group buy for the golden dwarfs and got them for 75 each. Not a lot of people wanted one though :).

FutureInterest;154828 wrote: We did a group buy for the golden dwarfs and got them for 75 each. Not a lot of people wanted one though :).

what a deal... under the wave had one sitting in their tanks for at least 6 months. $300, if i remember correctly...

i used to wiggle my fingers in front of it and it would chase it around like an irresistible worm...

can't wait to get one... one of these days...

FutureInterest;154828 wrote: We did a group buy for the golden dwarfs and got them for 75 each. Not a lot of people wanted one though :).
wow where were they purchased from? im very intrestead in one when my tank is set up

A diver in hawaii caught a bunch of em and just wanted to sell direct. The collectors offered him 50 bucks each. They then mark it up... then some wholesaler buys them and marks em up... etc etc and eventually they sell for 350. Shipping was pricey though and was fedex overnight priority which took TWO days from Hawaii. Surprisingly everything was healthy when we received it.

I tried to setup another buy with him but he has since contracted directly with various retailers so he rarely has anything in stock anymore for long. :sad: I've been bugging him for a few months to hold a certain few fish and eels for me. Hopefully he'll come through and if he does I'll post the info here.

cool if something does come up like that would you be able to hold one for me until my tank is ready? If its not ready by then

I tried to contain mine in an acrylic container in my display till I knew it was eating. It escaped through the tiniest lil hole. You have to be very cautious with them and have a good canopy or lid. Otherwise as Jeremy so elegantly analogized in a long dead thread, you'll end up with an expensive piece of jerky :). If the time comes I might be able to house it in my nano for yah. Hopefully the timing will work out.

Nah, he's family now :). I think patrick who works at Marine Fish was able to get one at a good price as well. Not sure where he got his though.

i just got a juvenile snowflake in my reef tank about a week ago. he ate both of my peppermints from what ive seen. hes the only fish i have for now though. i didnt really think about the fact that i wont be able to get a pistol shrimp and watchman goby though. dont think it would work out very well. but it doesnt bother my coral.

Back