eels and advice.

jade76

Market
Reaction score
:unsure: So...ive been thinking of getting an eel for "REEF" tank.....looking at the golden dwarfs, or the snowflakes....aside from these two species, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with eels and reefs? Ive really got a jones'in to have an eel, and Ive been doing my research but Im looking for experience or knowledged opions please...... :unsure:

You could try some Garden eels or maybe an engineer goby. But i second the GDM, great lil' eels.

Snowflakes are fine. They do get big eventually and tend to knock corals over. There kind of plain and too common for my taste. But you would be fine with one in your tank if thats what you want.

got any good pics of your gdm you guys??? im dying to see what they look like i cant find any pics i want a eel superbad also but i have 2 fire fish and a 6 line! so he has to be small

I've got a pic of one on my blog somewhere. I have very small wrasses and firefish in the same tank. Snowflakes are cool as well but they will prey on your inverts and eventually when they get large enough they may take swipes at smaller fish.

I've had my GDM for over a year and its still definitely one of my favorite things in the tank. GDM club for life!

Also keep in mind that no eel is 100% reef safe. The GDMs are pretty docile for an eel and mine has yet to hurt anything in my tank and I have plenty of things that easily fit in his mouth. However, I've heard stories of people with GDMs that have eaten fish and inverts...

In my experience I would not suggest a Snowflake if you have any fish or inverts that might possibly fit in his mouth, even if they won't fit they will probably try. Golden is the way to go.

jgilley84;224631 wrote: got any good pics of your gdm you guys??? im dying to see what they look like i cant find any pics i want a eel superbad also but i have 2 fire fish and a 6 line! so he has to be small

Not a great picture, but here's my guy.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/376/376875/folders/287079/2310194NewKid.JPG" alt="" />

His tankmates:

Small yellow tang
Small yellow-tail damsel (2)
Bangaii cardinal (2)
6-Line wrasse
bi-colored blenny
flamehawk
Copperband butterfly
Ocellaris clownfish - pair
Cleaner shrimp
Sally lightfood crab
Serpent starfish
Various hermits & snails

I feed him once a week and I see him more than you might think -- he's always poking his head out of his cave to say *hi* and at feeding time he's out swimming in the water column.

Food = squid, octopus, cuttlefish (from a frozen seafood medley found @ Publix), raw tableshrimp, krill, silversides. I make sure he gets a variety to keep him healthy and I avoid overfeeding.

How big do they get, and is there a common tank "Size" needed for them?

I have been starting to gain interest in Eal's, but I know nothing about them.

rostato;224731 wrote: How big do they get, and is there a common tank "Size" needed for them?

GDM's stay rather small ... 8-10". Ideal for a nano if you have a very secure lid. Mine's in a larger display - 90g.

Hmm, is eggcrate covering the whole top considered "tight" Thats all I have.

Saltwater City has one for $200. THey have had him several weeks and Dave told me he was already eating well. If I had $200 to throw down I would have got him today.

And you'd still get the discount which is like 15% I think up there.

Eggcrate will not work for these guys. Lesson learned the hard way. :(

Yeah, use mesh. I use the plastic insect screen from HD and it's impenetrable.

corvettecris;224843 wrote: Yeah, use mesh. I use the plastic insect screen from HD and it's impenetrable.

Yeah, but I have a Bow Front. Good luck making that work:yuk:

Hmm, what to do...

Back