Electric Lift for canopy

i saw jessies setup last night..... that thing is SWEET !!! Goes up and down by switch, could just sit there and play with that controller all day....im easily amused.... im thinking that would come in real useful with someone running metal halides and it was time to switch out the bulbs, and gradually lowering the height of the canopy during the burn in period.....

Nice work so far. Before you rule out gas struts, consider that they were used to hold up car hatchbacks, hoods and the rear doors to minivans all of which are very heavy. Take a look at this page at McMaster for some VERY good info on these.
enter.asp

Here's the deal with the gas springs, though--They would certainly help in balancing the weight on the way up, but I would have the opposite problem on the way back down, wherin the actuator would have to pull against the upward force of the strut.... rather than mess around with that for another weekend, I went ahead and ordered another 400lb actuator (I would have done a lighter duty one but unfortunately, they go up at a different speed, which would creat a whole new problem...).

Anyhow, at least now I know I'll be able to put that Carlson surge device on top of the canopy without worrying about the weight! (kidding)

Thanks for the feedback folks! More pictures to come, now that I've finished the plumbing and such. I'll try to post them here as well as RC

Gas struts also have a limited life and will start to fail very quickly, with salt corrosion on the shafts working against the seals. I have replaced 1000's of these. They do have a purpose, but Jesse is on the right track with keeping his canopy balanced. Wish i had thought of it while I was building mine.

Thanks, Kieth, that makes me feel better about spending the extra $119!

My dad, built and ran the LEER truck cover business in Conyers, I have installed 1000's of truck covers, and had to trouble shoot truck cover problems, since I was 10 years old. When dealers on the coast would call in about problems, with the gas shocks, we would just tell them to replace them, LEER had a policy calling it the "life expectancy" of the shock. I am sure they have improved them over the years, I myself in my experience would rater trust a motor and a gear.
Do those actuators require any lubrication?

jessezm;29687 wrote: Here's the deal with the gas springs, though--They would certainly help in balancing the weight on the way up, but I would have the opposite problem on the way back down, ...

That would be true if you sized the strut to lift more wieight than the entire hood, which isn't how they are typically used. What I was suggesting was a strut that could partially lift the hood, essentually lightenting the hood. For example, it appears your hood needs more than 400lbs lifting force. If you purchased a strut that provides 300lbs of lift, you would effectily lighten your hood by making it need only 100lbs of force to lift.

They sell stainless struts too!

It is all a moot point anyway since you already ordered the second actuator...:cheers:

Ah, good points, all. My canopy probably weighs about 150lbs, and with my lack of knowledge of physics, Im out on a limb assuming that more force is needed to lift the canopy if only doing it from one end... Which is why I went with the heavy-duty actuator in the first place. But it was through a conversation with an engineer at Firgelli automation that I came to the conclusion that the strut would cuase problems on the way back down, even if it was only a 100lbs force strut. because the actuator would be pulling it down from the other end of the canopy, it may have had the same problem I had when pushing it up.... Anyhow...

Did a test of the overflow bulkheads and had a leaky one. It's fixed now and I may be filling up the tank tonight for a full test!

Back