Emerald crab not worth it.

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Well,I had a 2 very small patches of BA.Got 2 small emerald crabs.With in 2 weeks BA gone:)
Now that they where in there for a few months,First, i noticed i had a break out of aiptasia.So i think the crabs ate my pep crew that had been doing a great job.Now my 8 yr old sail-fin blennie is missing.Im sure the crabs got him sleeping in his shell.I know some have cautioned about them,I chose to try them.Not a good decision.:mad2:

i hate emerald crabs.i had the same problem with BA so i bought 3 of them.they did not go for the BA but my dragonet instead ripped his fins off.i got all the emerald crabs out just last night i smashed them with a hammer.eye for an eye thing nothing gonna hurt my fish without getting hurt

gacolt;944620 wrote: i hate emerald crabs.i had the same problem with BA so i bought 3 of them.they did not go for the BA but my dragonet instead ripped his fins off.i got all the emerald crabs out just last night i smashed them with a hammer.eye for an eye thing nothing gonna hurt my fish without getting hurt
Wait.. You bought 3 animals, put them in a cage with other animals and they didn't play nice so you smashed them with a hammer?

And no, it's not the same thing as putting a crab in a pot and eating it, aquarists take a lot from the ocean not to survive but to keep as pets for our own entertainment. The least you can do is respect the marine life in your aquarium. I had a problem emerald crab and I didn't even buy it!! It hitchhiked in on a clam. So I caught it and brought it back to the store. Shame.

I got a pic last night of one of them, will post pic later.They both are the same size . After seeing the size, its smaller then a dime.Maybe they didn't turn Rambo on them yet.Will wait and see, I don't have and other small fish.

If they dont have any food they will go for whatever they can find, its not that hard to understand.

Put a silverside in the rocks for them, or role up some sheet algea and shove it in a crack.

99% of aggression problems in tanks is due to not enough food.

We have two. We bought for the sole purpose to eat the algea that grew after our tank cycled. The lfs gave us the macro algea they eat for when they clean the tank. Its currently growing in our fuge. We haven't had a problem with ours being aggressive at all. But we feed them plenty of food. They are about the size of a quarter. Maybe we just got lucky.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Mikesmith34;944629 wrote: I'm sure he was just joking

hopefully! and I agree!

However, if not, this guy is an effing moron and should be 86....

I love my emerald. He stays on "his" rock. He doesn't venture out much... that I see. Lol when we're away our fish will play. But anyways. He can be seen everyday in the same general area eating stuff off the rocks. He has never even attempted to hurt anything. Lol

When will emeralds be labeled as NOT REEF SAFE????? Jesus H. Christ. They eat ANYTHING, they are scavengers and are not at all reef safe. End of story.

gacolt;944620 wrote: i hate emerald crabs.i had the same problem with BA so i bought 3 of them.they did not go for the BA but my dragonet instead ripped his fins off.i got all the emerald crabs out just last night i smashed them with a hammer.eye for an eye thing nothing gonna hurt my fish without getting hurt

I hope this was a joke... :sad:

All CUC are scavengers. Hence the name.
I have had many emerald crabs...never had a problem.

mysterybox;944927 wrote: hopefully! and I agree!

However, if not, this guy is an effing moron and should be 86....

He had to be joking cause when I read it, it made me laugh out loud.....in a weird way. He was joking I'm sure

JDavid;944621 wrote: Wait.. You bought 3 animals, put them in a cage with other animals and they didn't play nice so you smashed them with a hammer?

And no, it's not the same thing as putting a crab in a pot and eating it, aquarists take a lot from the ocean not to survive but to keep as pets for our own entertainment. The least you can do is respect the marine life in your aquarium. I had a problem emerald crab and I didn't even buy it!! It hitchhiked in on a clam. So I caught it and brought it back to the store. Shame.

+1

So many stores are willing to take (most, but def emerald crabs) unwanted livestock. I heard a story from someone who had the same problem with an emerald crab. His solution was to remove it, then shoot it with a BB gun. I failed to see the correlation of, I THINK it killed a fish, so I killed it. To each their own.

Sorry for your experience.

I been wanting to post a pic that I got.But cant, I'm at the hospital, my wife got admitted the other day, I been here.After looking at the little guy, made me think.My bleenie was full grown when I got him.Had him for 8 yrs.He could of just retired. Since this happened, I changed my feeding program. Chopped krill, a couple times a week, along with regular feeding.When we get out of here, will post that pic.Its 2 am shot, so the flash was on, but was good shot.It was just eating off the life rock.

Fishlips;945175 wrote: I been wanting to post a pic that I got.But cant, I'm at the hospital, my wife got admitted the other day, I been here.After looking at the little guy, made me think.My bleenie was full grown when I got him.Had him for 8 yrs.He could of just retired. Since this happened, I changed my feeding program. Chopped krill, a couple times a week, along with regular feeding.When we get out of here, will post that pic.Its 2 am shot, so the flash was on, but was good shot.It was just eating off the life rock.

See what sleeping in chair-bed will do to ya."life rock"LOL

20140324_224435_zpsefef97aa.jpg
alt="" /></a>

You ain't kidding, I added 6peps the other day.My friends Bill and Jett are getting me something also, its a fish.Im hoping we are out of so I can go down this weekend.

Back