EMERGENCY-blue spotted jawfish needs a home

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
Long story short, I bought a fish in error, a blue spotted jawfish. It will arrive today. This fish has special requirements that I cannot give it in my display tank. I am scrambling to convert one of my QT tanks as a permanent home as I am almost done buying fish. This fish cost $139. $179 total when you add shipping. I am willing to sell him to an experienced reefer with the means to care for it for $129. I will give deference to experienced reefers that I know as I am serious about finding it a good home. I know this is not the place for buying and selling but it is an emergency and I am willing to take a big loss on a fish I have paid for but have not received yet. I purchased it from Saltwaterfishshop.com again, it is due to arrive today.

Well, it just arrived. I'm going to pull some cycled rock from my sump, add some rock rubble and some PVC pipe and of course, seal openings in my lid. Any advice from experienced reefers will be welcome. I want this guy (gal) to survive.IMG_6350.JPGIMG_6351.JPG

As it happens, I had already planned to convert the bottom QT tank into a deep sand bed display refugium and I'll add a 40 breeder as the main DT. I'll house the Blue Spot in the refugium. It should be perfect for it.

Well, under the circumstances this is the best I can do right now. I'm running carbon and floss to clear up the water, then I will put the media bag in the HOB. Also floating bags of ice to bring temp down to about 73 degrees which is the ambient temp of my room.

Attachments

• IMG_6352.JPG
    IMG_6352.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6353.JPG
    IMG_6353.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 46
well I'm happy to report that the Blue Spotted Jawfish is doing better than expected. Although I currently don't have sand in the tank it readily eats when I hand feed it. It has made a burrow under the media bag and rubble. All it does is stare at me all day. Creepy fish but with personality. This fish is a super jumper. When I opened the lid on the 5gal bucket it hit the lid 3 times in a second. Luckily I had my kung fu grip. haha

well I'm happy to report that the Blue Spotted Jawfish is doing better than expected. Although I currently don't have sand in the tank it readily eats when I hand feed it. It has made a burrow under the media bag and rubble. All it does is stare at me all day. Creepy fish but with personality. This fish is a super jumper. When I opened the lid on the 5gal bucket it hit the lid 3 times in a second. Luckily I had my kung fu grip. haha
What are you feeding him?

Heading out to get some live sand for a deep sand bed. I'll put that in the bottom tank, cycle it with Dr. Tim's and I'll put it in the bottom refugium tank as a permanent home for him and some yet to be acquired garden eels. Can I get a few ideas on the best way to plumb these tanks together? The top tank may be a clown harem tank with sps (eventually). I could use some ideas on that one too.

Nice. Any luck with dry?
No. I haven't figured out how to hand feed dry. If it's not dangling above him, he won't eat it. I'm trying not to pollute the tank, particularly with all that rock rubble in the way. I want to, I think the most nutrient dense food will offer him the best chance but he wants what he wants i quess.

Maybe you can shutoff all the flow and drop a pellet at a time above it? Also switching between pellets and what it’s been eating might help with the feeding response

BSJ just stairs at my display tank all day. Probably looking at all that sand haha (I’m working on it). I can hear him jump in the dark about 4 times each night. Tank temp is a steady 74 degrees.

Attachments

• C97B9032-A755-4D3A-8314-BD9699E72966.jpeg
    C97B9032-A755-4D3A-8314-BD9699E72966.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 22
Omg I am so going to get one of these little guys when I get set up, Love them

Are you keeping the lid on this tank?
He has such the personality and is stunning under blues (or whites even imo). You really have to keep a tight lid. Mine is pretty sealed up but I leave small cracks to help with air exchange. The only opening big enough the front of my HOB filter. He only tries to jump at night in the dark and the HOB filter is where he hits every time. So, in order for him to get out he would essentially have to jump twice but the force of the water coming out of the HOB forces him back into the tank. IMO this is not a beginner fish and so far, he only eats when I hand feed him. He eats a lot and should be fed at least 3 times per day. It's a pain but I owe it to him since I bought him so....just make sure you know what you are getting into and good luck!

Back