Emergency....Chiller Fuse

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
I was cleaning the internals and fan tonight and knocked a connector loose so when I plugged it in it popped the fuse. I have NO clue what kind of fuse this is. Looks like a 5x20 glass or ceramic tube fuse (smaller than automotive, bigger than X-mas light fuse) but Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc. only carries them (or shows them) to 5 A and this one has 15 A on it. Can't believe it's that big in a 1/3 HP chiller but whatever.

Does anyone know what kind of fuses manufacturers use. It's a Coralife Aquachill made about 4 years ago. COuld be a ceramic tube fuse also becuase it shattered. Where the heck can you get these in a hurry!!! THanks.

EDIT: Just cleaned one of the pieces.....definantly looks like glass. I have no clue if it's a fast blow or slow blow fuse either.

Not much info on the web about them. Coralife is now owned by Central Garden & Pet. You could try calling their customer service department: <span style="color: #1F497D">888-255-4527

<span style="color: Black">They might be able to give you more info. They would be closed now, but tomorrow morning if you can make it that long.

Jenn
</span></span>

China uses an odd size fuse. You can find one that will work, but it's not easy. Best to go through the manufacturer.

I don't know where you can get it or what it is, but try calling here in the morning:
Attn: Coralife Customer Service
Central Aquatics
5401 W. Oakwood Park Drive
Franklin, WI 53132

Toll-free: 888-255-4527
M - F 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST

shoot me your phone number I have a picture on my phone of a odd ball fuse I have. if its the same you can come get it if you want. i have a 10A and 15A

Can anyone confirm their 1/4-1/3 chiller fuse amperage rating. I'm almost certain a 5x20 size is right.

i have 2 buss fuses, one that is 32mm long 15A and one that is 20mm long 15A. is that what you need?

The 15a 20mm is the right length but needs to be 5mm diameter and rated at 250v...not 125.

i just measured this one and it is 6.8mm in diameter. and it doesn't say what voltage rating.

Yep....that's the bigger one:sad: Won't work but thanks. I don't even have enough wire in this thing to cut and wire my own either. This is not looking good.

I'd be afraid to even add a fuse till I could confirm what size fuses other people running 1/3-1/4 HP chillers have. This 15a/250v just seems high.

PLease.....somebody with a 1/3 or 1/4 chiller look in your instruction manual and see what fuse rating it has. I'm running on a bare bones computer after the crash and can't open .pdf files right now.

use any 15A fuse that is long enough.. (bend the tynes open if you need to so it will fit)

Bend the tynes???? This is a glass cylindrical fuse in a screw-top panel-mount holder.

Anyways, Central Garden confirmed my worst suspicion. It's a 15A, 250V, 5x20mm Slo Blow......basically the hardest fuse known to man to get:D Have it jumpered right now using a mis-mash of parts from Grainger today. New fuses on the way from Digikey in MN. Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc can only get them up to 6.3A. Grainger can only get them to 10A (that's saying something when Grainger not only doesn't have it in stock....but can't even get it...LOL)

Moral of this story.....make dang sure you have backup fuses on hand.....don't assume they will be readily available. I never even thought to open the holder and look. Just expected a standard size.

Did you ever have any luck? I had my 1/6 hp chiller fuse blow out the other night in the storm. I think I may have found something that works, but I am looking for a 10a 250v fuse like you were stating. I didn't know if you had any luck anywhere.

Back