Enough Lighting?

centerforce

Reaction score
Starting to build my Hood for my 120gal. Reef (48"Lx24"Wx24"H)
Here is the lighting that I have to put in the hood:
2 - MH 150w 10k
2 - PowerCompact 65w Actinic 03
2 - PowerCompact 65w 10k

Does this look like it will be sufficent Lighting?

Since your tank is 24" deep, you should probably go with 250w halides. The 150's won't provide the par need at the sandbed level to kept clams. I think most people with a 24" deep tank go with 250w or 400w halides.

Yeah, I would ditch the 150's for 2X250Watts, and ditch the PCs for VHO's instead. You could run 4 VHO's on a single IC660 ballast and get some great actinic supplementation.

I agree with Showtime - that's a deep tank. You'll want to bump that up to 2x250w (dual ended) or 2x400w if you want to keep just about any coral. The price difference is fairly minimal, and if you decide to keep some of the more demanding coral in the future (which is almost a given), you'll be buying these at some point anyway (I can confidently say this with 1000w halides over a 26" tall tank)...

It's also worth noting that the actinics are strictly for looks (for your benefit, not the corals), and that you won't get much out of those two 65w 10k PC's - the Metal Halides will far overpower them.

ok, Thanks all, Now how about this

2 - 250w DE MH 10k
2 - Actinic 03 @ 65w (Power Compact)
2 - 7500k @ 65w (Power Compact)

The main reason that i am using the 65w CP 's is that I already have them.

Ane then I will also add somewhere around 10 moonlights

Centerforce wrote: ok, Thanks all, Now how about this

2 - 250w DE MH 10k
2 - Actinic 03 @ 65w (Power Compact)
2 - 7500k @ 65w (Power Compact)

The main reason that i am using the 65w CP 's is that I already have them.

Ane then I will also add somewhere around 10 moonlights

why the 7500k?you should get plenty of white light from the halides.i would substitute the 7500k with some more actinic or maybe even a 50/50.either way youll be happy you going with the 250's instead of the 150's.

7500k will prolly grow algae better- not something I would want.

Not to mention all the yellow in your tank.
If you had a 14 or 20k mh then it wouldn't be bad.

IMO, there are no better actinic bulbs than URI (now called UV Lighting) actinics. I've tried other brand T5 and PC and none compare to the effect of the URI VHO Actinic bulbs I had on my orignal system. When the T5s that came with my light fixture are due to be replaced (only 5 months to go :thumbs: ), I will be using the UV Lighting T5 Actinincs to see how they compare to the VHO bulbs.

I understand your logic that you are using the PC bulbs since you have them already but I think you will be better off using VHO Actinics. Keep the PCs to light a refugium or sell them to fund the VHOs. The other bennifit of the VHO bulbs is you can get them in 46.5" or 48" and will run the length of your tank...

If I was you..instead of all of those different lights styles and types.

Just put in (2) 400w MH with 14K bulbs and be done with it. Save you money and will grow you better a tank.

TW

Centerfoce, check out this thread for some 250W equipent for sale locally

showthread.php

washowi wrote: If I was you..instead of all of those different lights styles and types.

Just put in (2) 400w MH with 14K bulbs and be done with it. Save you money and will grow you better a tank.
I agree 100%. It's not worth the extra ballasts, wiring, timers, etc. None of those are difficult, but you don't gain much over just getting some higher wattage main lights that are a bit bluer...

Back