ESV vs BRS 2 part?

AskelTek86

Reaction score
My new 180g tank has been up and running for almost a month and I'm trying to decide whether I should stick with ESV B-ionic for my 2 part that I've used in the past or switch to BRS. I know that the BRS doesn't have trace elements and would have to be supplemented separately, but other than that I was just wondering if anyone has made this switch or vice versa and what was the difference in outcome if any. Would also consider any other 2 part comparisons vs ESV.

Thanks

Pics of old and new just for looks.
Screenshot_20200226-102722_Instagram.jpg20200414_142304.jpg

ESV all day, been using it for over 15 years. It is simple to use, buy in the 5 gallon bucket, make 4 gallons of alk and cal. BRS is doo doo you will need to add so much more to make up for what they don't include. ESV has been around forever, 100% lab grade.

ESV all day, been using it for over 15 years. It is simple to use, buy in the 5 gallon bucket, make 4 gallons of alk and cal. BRS is doo doo you will need to add so much more to make up for what they don't include. ESV has been around forever, 100% lab grade.

Ok cool. I agree that it is easy to use and mix. Never did the 5 gallon buckets before just always bought the 1 gallon jugs as needed but I'll definitely consider that seeing as its a bigger system. Also since you've been using it so long, do you know the shelf life. I've had some left over maybe 1/2 gallon of each sitting in my garage since 2018. Should i chuck it or is it still good to use?

Yea i had a bit of a gap inbetween tanks

Ok cool. I agree that it is easy to use and mix. Never did the 5 gallon buckets before just always bought the 1 gallon jugs as needed but I'll definitely consider that seeing as its a bigger system. Also since you've been using it so long, do you know the shelf life. I've had some left over maybe 1/2 gallon of each sitting in my garage since 2018. Should i chuck it or is it still good to use?

Yea i had a bit of a gap inbetween tanks

As long as the lid was tight and no air got in, you should be fine. Just want to make sure none of it evaporated. I had a couple 5 gallon pales (Its really 4 gallons, dumb I know) in my garage for a year, just cracked it open Sunday to use with my new KH Guardian controller.

If you can squeeze the jug and any air seeps out, toss it and buy fresh. You will be very happy you stuck with ESV. I have used their 4 part salt for many many years. I just recently switched to try a good friends salt her brought into the USA about a year or so ago.

As long as the lid was tight and no air got in, you should be fine. Just want to make sure none of it evaporated. I had a couple 5 gallon pales (Its really 4 gallons, dumb I know) in my garage for a year, just cracked it open Sunday to use with my new KH Guardian controller.

If you can squeeze the jug and any air seeps out, toss it and buy fresh. You will be very happy you stuck with ESV. I have used their 4 part salt for many many years. I just recently switched to try a good friends salt her brought into the USA about a year or so ago.

Definitely has not been sealed so I'll just scrap them .. as for salt I've always used reef crystals that has been good enoigh for me and i just like how its readily available everywhere. Wont have to wait for shipping and such if in a bind.

Back