Ever heard of a black box burning corals?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
So I've had a Mars aqua black box for maybe two years now. All of a sudden about two to three weeks ago my corals just started bleaching and dying.

My RBTA is a very light pink, my frog spawn is a teal and light brown, my Hollywood stunner is literally flaking off turning white underneath. My purple SPS and blank SPS is almost completely down to the bleached white stone.

I'm completely lost. My water parms are all with in limits except for kh. It was 6.

I read one person stating his black box messed up and burned all his corals almost over night.

My lighting used to be on at 10 and off at 7 using the lowest setting and still be on. Rarely if we had guests if turn up the lights. But they'd go right back down.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Have you started any GFO recently? The lights will only get weaker, it's highly unlikely they've got stronger.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

You know what.... I did put a media reactor on there with bio pellets.

Would that do it?

Yep sounds like you stripped nutrients too fast

Yea, the first time I ran GFO I bleached alot of stuff over night, most came back but it took several weeks before they showed signs of life.

I think only time can help it now

GaJeep94YJ;1111083 wrote: Water change?
Add two part dosing
Feed more?

I don't want to give you bad info on how to reverse it, I'll let someone else chime in. Try not to panic, doing too much can cause issues too.

When did you put the reactor online? Brandon is right. Definitely not the lights. Most likely nutrient stripping.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What ARE your NO3 and PO4 levels?
I mean... you CAN add it back. At least the NO3 ... not sure how to dose PO4.
If you're in Rome I got some "stuff":)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will my skimmer over flowed last night, I'm sure that put some nutrients back in the water.......

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-my-sps-are-paling-and-i-dont-know-what-to-do.210035/&ved=0ahUKEwjzs5rgt-fSAhXFwiYKHcPlBI8QFggoMAI&usg=AFQjCNFdHdbxPVc52z_Pr_zkoTnX-bR-iw&sig2=H-3w-4_7rzw93mDBQSDqdQ">https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/help-my-sps-are-paling-and-i-dont-know-what-to-do.210035/&ved=0ahUKEwjzs5rgt-fSAhXFwiYKHcPlBI8QFggoMAI&usg=AFQjCNFdHdbxPVc52z_Pr_zkoTnX-bR-iw&sig2=H-3w-4_7rzw93mDBQSDqdQ</a>

Great information in that thread. Ever since I've kept 3+ nitrate in my system the corals have been much healthier with growth and color.

Good article!

So, lights are only 12-7 now blue only and lowest they can go. I'll feed more to try to help.

So do you think I had too many bio pellets? Or do you think I just ran it too long. Can I leave the pellets in there and just turn off that Flow? Then simply turn it back on if they start getting out of hand?

GaJeep94YJ;1111101 wrote: Good article!

So, lights are only 12-7 now blue only and lowest they can go. I'll feed more to try to help.

So do you think I had too many bio pellets? Or do you think I just ran it too long. Can I leave the pellets in there and just turn off that Flow? Then simply turn it back on if they start getting out of hand?

The only thing with feeding a bunch to get the nitrates up is the added phosphate. If you have the ability to adjust the flow coming out of the bio pellets I would turn it down. Those pellets can be very effective and it sounds like they have been for you. I wouldn't mess with anything but the nutrients. Try to allow your system to maintain 2-3 nitrates for a few weeks and watch how your corals react

You can also reduce the amount of pellets in the reactor, it is suggested that you start out small with biopellets and gradually increase the media over several weeks ago as you don't bleach your corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back