Experiences with Vibrant and bubble algae

bluesy1213

Market
Reaction score
I’m considering trying Vibrant to get rid of some bubble algae that’s getting out of hand in my tank. I was wanting to hear people’s experiences with using it. I’ve been trying to use ascorbic acid (vitamin c) and it’s just creating a bacterial bloom and driving my alk up and that I don’t want. I’ve recently read that I’m basically carbon dosing my tank and I’m not educated on that so I want to try something different. The tank is only 30 gallons FYI and Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are using the buffered absorbic acid powder it doesn't include anything that would serve as a carbon source. I've used vibrant in the past and it has worked.

My experience with Vibrant has been overall pretty good. However I didn't use it specifically to tackle bubble algae, as I only ever had a little bit of that in my frag tank and always try to excise it as soon as it appears like the cancer that it is LOL. It did help me with turf algae and hair algae however. I have read that over time, it can be effective against bubble algae as well. One thing I would caution is that it seems to act on algae through nutrient elimination, and many, including myself, have experienced the appearance of cyanobacteria as a result, given cyano's efficiency in updating nutrients even when extremely limited. So you have to go slow and try to keep your system in balance, as you can easily bottom out your nitrate and phosphate levels with this stuff.

I still use it in limited "maintenance" quantities, and still do get a bit of cyano which comes and goes.

I don't know how bad your infestation is but to the extent you can use a multipronged approach including manual removal, tank helpers, etc in addition to additives, the better off you'll be.

My experience with Vibrant has been overall pretty good. However I didn't use it specifically to tackle bubble algae, as I only ever had a little bit of that in my frag tank and always try to excise it as soon as it appears like the cancer that it is LOL. It did help me with turf algae and hair algae however. I have read that over time, it can be effective against bubble algae as well. One thing I would caution is that it seems to act on algae through nutrient elimination, and many, including myself, have experienced the appearance of cyanobacteria as a result, given cyano's efficiency in updating nutrients even when extremely limited. So you have to go slow and try to keep your system in balance, as you can easily bottom out your nitrate and phosphate levels with this stuff.

I still use it in limited "maintenance" quantities, and still do get a bit of cyano which comes and goes.

I don't know how bad your infestation is but to the extent you can use a multipronged approach including manual removal, tank helpers, etc in addition to additives, the better off you'll be.
Thanks for the information. I have also read that it can strip the phosphate and nitrate out of the water. I’m still really trying to decide if I want to go this route or just keep trying the ascorbic acid. I would try emerald crabs but I have other inverts that they will probably kill and I don’t really want that either. Thank you for the input and advice ultimately.

If you are using the buffered absorbic acid powder it doesn't include anything that would serve as a carbon source. I've used vibrant in the past and it has worked.
According to the bottle it’s buffered. Maybe I’m just thinking I had a bloom because the water became a little cloudy a few days after cranking up the dose. Thanks for the advice and I may still try to keep using the ascorbic acid as I have a rather large bottle for the size tank that I have.

Yah. Honestly, thought the best thing is to have something that eats it. I have two fish that love it... one is a blonde naso the other is a foxface. They both go for the stuff like its candy.

I'd also add that I have not had issues with Emerald Crabs bothering my other inverts (scarlet, cleaner, and peppermint shrimps, hermits, snails, etc). That said, there is always a risk, but you can minimize it by trying to select the emeralds with smaller claws (females) I believe.

Back