experiment failed :(

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
Well i visited the fish store in chamblee today and they had a clown marked tomato/cinnamon i asked the attendant which it was he said he was pretty sure it was a tomato i told him i had a tomato and i was trying to pair them because mine was larger after debating for 20 minutes with myself i decided to buy it and 2 very large turbo snails.

well i acclimated the fish and put him into my DT well the good times lasted for maybe 3 hours because my tomato immediately went after it when i turned the lights on so i went to net the new fish out and my tomato had it by the tail ripping at it so im 100% sure this isnt a tomato clownfish and its a cinnamon now i dont know what to do with this cinnamon will the fish store take it back its in my QT tank at the moment i had to set up in a hurry but it took a bit of a beating its caudal fin is missing a piece

or maybe the one i got is a tomato too but its also female because mine is rather large so im sure its female either way not sure what to do with this fish lol

seems i answered my own question i found my receipt says no returns on live stock only dry goods bummer

he looks like he'll be just fine - all he needs is a home without someone beating on him.

Don't feel bad - we went from 1 tank to 2 tanks to now 4 tanks. 3 of the 4 are because of fish aggression.

I had success with my clownfish aggression by removing the aggressor from the aquarium and putting it into a holding container. Then rearranged my rockwork and put it back in. The clown calmed down and the two paired up. This method is way more feasible in nanos though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had success with my clownfish aggression by removing the aggressor from the aquarium and putting it into a holding container. Then rearranged my rockwork and put it back in. The clown calmed down and the two paired up. This method is way more feasible in nanos though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea i wish i could but my rock is cemented together with reef cement thats not gonna be possible

Yea i wish i could but my rock is cemented together with reef cement thats not gonna be possible

You can always just add a rock or 2 for a week to throw the incumbent off. Or tape a mirror to the front or the tanks to distract her.

You can always just add a rock or 2 for a week to throw the incumbent off. Or tape a mirror to the front or the tanks to distract her.
yea im gonna let him heal up in the QT tank for a bit before i decide if i want to place him back in my DT again if i do thats a pretty good idea i may try that thanks

I’m leaning towards the possibility of just having 2 females, or 2 similarly sized males, or a one with a territorial personality in a small tank. What size tank is it? And how long has the previous one been in there?

@dball711 I support this idea. Putting a new rock or two in there is a good call. You can also use a handheld mirror or 2 to disseminate aggression.

I’ve always had difficulty distinguishing these two species. A shallow amount of research shows 2 interesting points: 1) while they are considered separate species, there is discussion as to if they are actually just stable forms of the same species. And 2) the two different fish have been known to hybridize.

This leads me to suspect the issue may not that you have two different fish species; but rather the issue lays in the distinct personality of these individuals, their sex, or the environment.

I’m leaning towards the possibility of just having 2 females, or 2 similarly sized males, or a one with a territorial personality in a small tank. What size tank is it? And how long has the previous one been in there?

@dball711 I support this idea. Putting a new rock or two in there is a good call. You can also use a handheld mirror or 2 to disseminate aggression.

I’ve always had difficulty distinguishing these two species. A shallow amount of research shows 2 interesting points: 1) while they are considered separate species, there is discussion as to if they are actually just stable forms of the same species. And 2) the two different fish have been known to hybridize.

This leads me to suspect the issue may not that you have two different fish species; but rather the issue lays in the distinct personality of these individuals, their sex, or the environment.
its a 150G long 72x18x28 and the tomato i have now has been in the tank coming on a month now

and i believe you are right about that i really believe now that i have 2 females or its the personality of the fish my original tomato clownfish wasn't aggressive at all she swims with my coral beauty so i figured it might work to add another i guess i added the new clown in the wrong way maybe i will get a acclimation box and attempt it again or like the other poster said add a few pieces of live rock to mix up the environment a bit before i try it again

This is completely normal for tomato clownfish. It's just a clownfish thing... They are types of damsels and can be mean as hell. Maroons, tomatoes, and cinnamons are all well known for attacking any congeners. It gets along with your angel fish because... that fish isn't a clownfish :).

Even if the newcomer is a male and the resident is a female the resident clown will torment the new one to death at times. The way I've been successful in pairing up the more aggressive clown species is in using a fish keeper or fish breeding box to hold the newcomer. I keep the box near where the resident clown likes to host... she will continually attack the fish but will be blocked by the plastic. Eventually... and this part can take sometime... she'll chill out. Try to look for telltale submission from the new fish when the resident female is nearby. Once they start submitting and the resident doesn't attack the plastic you are good to go. Only the males will do submission... so that's how you'll know for sure what sex it is and whether its ultimately safe to let the fish out.

Good luck.

This is completely normal for tomato clownfish. It's just a clownfish thing... They are types of damsels and can be mean as hell. Maroons, tomatoes, and cinnamons are all well known for attacking any congeners. It gets along with your angel fish because... that fish isn't a clownfish :).

Even if the newcomer is a male and the resident is a female the resident clown will torment the new one to death at times. The way I've been successful in pairing up the more aggressive clown species is in using a fish keeper or fish breeding box to hold the newcomer. I keep the box near where the resident clown likes to host... she will continually attack the fish but will be blocked by the plastic. Eventually... and this part can take sometime... she'll chill out. Try to look for telltale submission from the new fish when the resident female is nearby. Once they start submitting and the resident doesn't attack the plastic you are good to go. Only the males will do submission... so that's how you'll know for sure what sex it is and whether its ultimately safe to let the fish out.

Good luck.
yea thats the interesting thing on my last tank i paired 2 maroon clowns and they didn't attack each other like the way my tomato tried to attack the new fish so i figured it might work the same way i learned a hard lesson lol but i plan to keep the tomato in my QT for the time being can any of you recommend a good breeder box or fish keeper on amazon im trying to find one that hangs on the tank without suction cups so it doesn't slide down the tank

Back