Expert advise needed. (Organic Chemist would help!)

ouling

Market
Reaction score
I'm going to use this stuff for spot feed and fish food along with SPS food. use onl 2ml per 20ml of food, feed 5 ml of this every 3 days.

What do you guys think? Ingredients list is fine for coral consumption and the ORANGE FLOVOR is innocuous enough for them.

Ingredients list:

hydolyzed Gelatin, Fructose, Whey Protein Isolate (from milk), Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Egg White Hydrolysate, Defoamer, Cellulose, Inositol, Choline Bitratate, Orange Flavor, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Benoate, Methylparaben, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacinamide, L-Carnitine, Propylparaben, Cyanocobalamin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin 5.phosphate Sodium, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Para Aminobenzoic Acid, Biotin, Folic Acid.

Any suggestions or warnings?

I run heavy heavy carbon so anything in the water should get sucked up by it. All of the above compound is nontoxic in the amount present and easily adsorbed by carbon filters and protein skimmers. To my shallow knowledge all of these compound are growth enchancement and aminoacids and easily broken proteins.

One thing that got me noticed is the Defoamer which is mostly silicone based, but I think in this amount it would okay.

Also the thing about orange flavor, that isn't a problem at all if anyone is concerned.

I'm absolutely no good at organic chemistry so please advise.

Used for humans trying to get buff. It's a dietary supplement made by twinlab.

I'm thinking this might be a bad idea. I'm guessing the dietary needs of humans and corals differ greatly.

What's your thinking as to why this would work better than other coral food?

Amino acids that is branched chain and peptide bonded, it is easily digested by corlas without having to break down actual coral food such as oyster eggs.

Also peptide bonded amino acids increase nitrogen retention much better than free floating amino acids when someone dose it directly into water, and much better than animal protein found in fish food. The fructose in it would also help if it's fed directly to the coral to help with the metabolic energy need of the coral.

I'm no organic chemist, but I am a chemical engineer that designs biological wastewater plants.

I don't think that any of this will hurt your tank directly. I don't know that it will help your corals (need a good biologist for that). But I do know that the heterotrophic bacteria in your tank will love it. Yes your carbon will adsorb the excess, but expect the bacteria to extract it and put by products back in to the water column. I would think that degradation of these compounds might also depress your pH, but you are adding very little. Expect any nitrogen in the product to enter the nitrogen cycle in your tank. This may mean an ammonia spike depending on the concentrations in the product.

You might want to think about what the defoamer will do to your protein skimmer.

There is phosphate in the product. Do you run a phosphate sponge?

I have over 1lb of phosphate sponge in my tank and phosphate is never above 0. I'm thinking the nitrate would start going down also because of the sucrose content of the thing. Well, maybe not go down the the sugar will help even out the added nitrate from the food, so I guess it will do nothing to the NO3.

The Silicone defoamer that is used in food industries shouldn't be a problem in this amount.

I smell a bacteria bloom in the offing... the sugar will likely cause an explosion.

There are several compounds in that which could prove problematic. I would suggest trying to find something more pure that is either straight protein or more pure amino acids. Something that isn't flavored.

yea I am going to try to find some. But I don't find those as high of quality as the stuff they offer at GET BUFF NOW! stores.

I thought possibly a whey based additive as you can find it in nearly pure forms, but it does contain lactose and some fat which might be a problem.

I don't find lactose or gluconate or even fructose to be a problem. The thing about this additive is that it is engineered for cellular absorbtion such as what corals do. Unlike protein or complex amino acids, most ingredients in this product don't need to be broken down any further to be absorbed and used.

I actually did it test and find calcium gluconate lowered my nitrate from 5 to 0 ppm in 2 days. The dosage i'm dose shouldn't give me a huge bloom, and the extra bacteria could be food for corals. If I see something funny going on then i'll cut the dosage.

I'll dose this in 5ml every 3 days for 2 weeks. My nitrate is currently at 3-4 and we'll see where it will be later.

My God, you got to be kidding....

Best of luck... Just do not come around asking the question in a month or so to the effect of "My bacteria is is lifting up my SPS like it is a bar bell and my tank smells like Orange Crush! What do I do?!?"

Xyzpdq0121;55555 wrote: My God, you got to be kidding....

Best of luck... Just do not come around asking the question in a month or so to the effect of "My bacteria is is lifting up my SPS like it is a bar bell and my tank smells like Orange Crush! What do I do?!?"

Do you know what orange flavor is made of? How do you know in the amount present in the dosage would cause any harm? What is wrong with dosing sucrose in the reef tank?

Orange flavor and other artifical flavor is a series of organic molecules that is easily taken up by carbon due to it's large molecular size.

The bacterial bloom could be more good than bad. Anoxic decomposition requires some source of lactose or other form of carbon since there is no oxygen, thus lowering nitrate as a benefit.

Why would the added bacteria cause serious harm to my tank? If you say the entire tank will turn milky white because of a bloom then you are wrong.
I know MANY MANY people that dose sucrose in their tank in moderate amount. Mostly in .8-1 gram every 3 days. The sugar concentration of the product is 1.8g per 5 ml; I only use 2 ml to make 25ml of food. So my sugar content is actually .145 grams per 3 days. You think this would actually cause a bacterial bloom in a tank of 120 gallons of water?

And if somehow the bacteria does lift my corals out the water then i'll ask for help on the reef tank and save you the trouble XYZ.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Sugar will cause the bacteria to go into overdrive... you could have some interesting spikes but I am not sure it would be harmful in small doses and as you noted possibly a good tihng. In a large dose, it could potentially cause an interesting bacterial crash where it consumes too much oxygen. Not sure you could dose enough protein to make it worth it without spiking the sugar intake of the tank. That would be my concern. Not that the stuff doesnt help, but you the other components might cause some unexpected problems.

Cameron;55558 wrote: Sugar will cause the bacteria to go into overdrive... you could have some interesting spikes but I am not sure it would be harmful in small doses and as you noted possibly a good tihng. In a large dose, it could potentially cause an interesting bacterial crash where it consumes too much oxygen. Not sure you could dose enough protein to make it worth it without spiking the sugar intake of the tank. That would be my concern. Not that the stuff doesnt help, but you the other components might cause some unexpected problems.

Exactly!!! I want someone who knows the chemistry of these organics that can actually tell me something and help me!!!!

The protein concentration is 3X higher than that of sugar, so the coral that is getting spot fed will get something out of it.

Folic acid, vitamin B6-12 and L Carnitine all help with growth and metabolism and is in super high concentration.

i just have problems figuring out what the heck is L proline and Glycine which is present in pretty high amounts.

Question is would it be better than say cyclopeeze which is 50% protien, 35$ lipid?

Marine Snow has also shown great results in a tank. I am guessing it won't be any better than these two with even greater downsides.

Back