Expert advise needed. (Organic Chemist would help!)

Cyclopeeze is great, and that is what i use to soak the Amino Fuel with. Soak the cyclopeeze and free it. Now I call it Aminoeeze.

I'm simply amazed that your tank has not had a full on crash... I'm thinking its just a matter of time lol.

Anyways, from my understanding the L-proline and glycine are both just base amino acids that are basic protein building blocks. However, I honestly don't think its necessary or even wise to provide corals with decontructed proteins...

In fact, I think you're just going to be polluting your tank more so than usual and there won't be any positive effect. But... I secretly do hope it grows like jack's beanstalk. :) G'luck!

ouling;55556 wrote: Do you know what orange flavor is made of? How do you know in the amount present in the dosage would cause any harm? What is wrong with dosing sucrose in the reef tank?

Orange flavor and other artifical flavor is a series of organic molecules that is easily taken up by carbon due to it's large molecular size.

The bacterial bloom could be more good than bad. Anoxic decomposition requires some source of lactose or other form of carbon since there is no oxygen, thus lowering nitrate as a benefit.

Why would the added bacteria cause serious harm to my tank? If you say the entire tank will turn milky white because of a bloom then you are wrong.
I know MANY MANY people that dose sucrose in their tank in moderate amount. Mostly in .8-1 gram every 3 days. The sugar concentration of the product is 1.8g per 5 ml; I only use 2 ml to make 25ml of food. So my sugar content is actually .145 grams per 3 days. You think this would actually cause a bacterial bloom in a tank of 120 gallons of water?

And if somehow the bacteria does lift my corals out the water then i'll ask for help on the reef tank and save you the trouble XYZ.

Thanks for the heads up :)

If you have it all figured out then dose it!!! Don't let me or anyone else stop you! But your first post said "Any suggestions or warnings?" and that is what I gave you, A suggestion of don't do it and a warning of I think you are taking risks with your tank. But if you have it all figured out, then by all means do it!

You ask me is .145 grams of sugar enough to cause a bacteria bloom in a saltwater tank? Hell if I know, I would not put .005 of sugar in my tank much less .145! But you know how you are and you love to push the dosage and levels and .145 will turn into .250 just because you want them to grow faster. Will .250 sugar cause a problem? Hell if I know. But if the sugar is not taken up by the corals then you have a bunch of sugar in solution in your tank. .145 this three days = .3 by the end of the week = .9 by the end of the month and so on. You hope that the sugar is taken up by the corals or absorbed by carbon but yet I doubt that you can find written scientific proof in which amounts it is taken up if it is at all! So can you tell me at what levels a bacteria bloom would happen?!? I can't but I am not willing to test it out on my tank, if you are then be my guest and let me know how it works out for you!

My last point is you are dealing with chain compounds bonded and likely held together with glucose and other compounds. These chain compounds have some good sides. Take seachems liquid calcium. It is a chain of about 4 calcium molicules held together by glucose. The thought is that the SPS grabs the calcium and uses the glucose as a carb for energy. But this does not work for all compounds, from my understanding, the coral has to want to reach for such a compound and the compound has to be small enough to grab (about the 4 calcium ions is about the largest it can do). So is a complex string of sugar and protien L. Caritine too large?!? I do not know but I would wager to guess it is. So you can add it but if it is not usable, what is the point?!? Last, Seachem will fully admit, they are not even sure if the calcium held together by glucose is fully helpfol and if the carbs add anything to the mix. They are still testing the idea fully.

I think personally think your idea is foolhearted and based on little science. If you want to experiment with your tank, GREAT. it is your little science project and if it crashes it is the risk you knew that you were taking. I would pray that it did not heppen to you but when you come on the forums and ask for advice, and do not like what I have to say, please do not get upset. Granted I am not the only one here so ignore my advice but just be prepared for the "I told you so" if you do this and then write back in a month with "My corals are having an RTN problem and I can not figure out as to why!!" or "My tank looks like I poured bleach in it, why?!?"

Post your idea on reef centeral or TRT and I am sure they would have the same reply to you, just in a much less nice way!

Yea, dosed 5ml of it yesterday (mixed with cyclopeeze) and the guys who got spot fed seem to be expanded. I soak this stuff with crushed mysis and cyclopeeze and free it to get the most nutrients in the food. And again, I dont see any thing that will do much harm in this bottle. So let this be an Ouling Science Experiment for the benefit of ARC! :)
I think the usual response against using this is the old "well, thats not desinged for fish tanks!" Calcium cloride used in pools and kalking wasser along with magnesium sulfate heptahydrate or magnesium cloride hexahydrate isn't designed for fish tanks neither but I guess someone took the time and courage and got it working for everyone else right?
As for purity of the product that this arguement is going to be 2 more pages.

I agree some people are resistant to "not for aquarium use" products, but I kinda tend to go with how natural the base product is. This stuff just has a lot of chemical additives that over time could prove to be an issue... if nothing else it might start coloring your water orange. I am not quite where Todd is, but seeing the pics he makes a huge case for keeping it simple and all natural.

Cameron;55687 wrote: I am not quite where Todd is.

Out of town or watching his bubble algae farm take flight!!!!

ouling;55679 wrote:
I think the usual response against using this is the old "well, thats not desinged for fish tanks!" Calcium cloride used in pools and kalking wasser along with magnesium sulfate heptahydrate or magnesium cloride hexahydrate isn't designed for fish tanks neither but I guess someone took the time and courage and got it working for everyone else right?

Believe it or not, I agree with this statement... someone has to have the courage to try... but they usually have the experience to test correctly and get pure product, without orange flavor in it.... I just do not know if you really want to be the person who nukes their tank trying to test the idea on a product you can pick up a "Tino's Roid Shop"! I mean, I am sure dosing Xanax in my tank might make my fish really mellow and stop the territory war going on between my neon gobies, am I willing to give it a shot, no! I will leave that to people like you to experiment with their tank that costs thousands of dollars.

Get a pure product, unmixed with individual compounds and test from there and even at that, I worry that the compounds used are not useful to corals. I fail to see what L. Caritine would do for a coral even if it could feed on it! I think your sugar is going to be a problem, I think the orange flavor is going to be a problem, I think the complex of the amino acids in powder form might be a problem. Just might thoughts. Like I said, by all means try it but if it fails, I reserve the right not to feel sorry for you... ;)

And please understand, it is frustrating for some of us who have listened to your posts in the past and given advice... We have watched you swing your Alk all over the board, dump a bottle of purple up in the tank, complain about RTN, just to name a few problems in the past month or two. It is hard to continue to give you advice or even care what happends at this point when time after time you do things that are illadvised and suffer the effects of your actions. I guess that is where the undertone in my posts comes from, that frustration. So I appoligize, I am done being frustrated from this point on.

A good point by Brandon is that the results you get may be useless as you have no control to compare it to. You won't know if it is the stuff you are adding or something entirely different.

I have 2 big candy cane and i'm only using it to feed one of them. It's a trial and error thing with me, and now my tank is actually stable and everything in "balance." The reason that i want to use this product because there is nothing else out there that have such a long list of amino acids and other growth inhancements. But the thing I'm actually worried about is this. The residual product that isn't being taken up by carbon or phosphate sponge or the biofilter, then it is going to linger in the tank, and if i keep doing the feeding then it may cause a problem. I don't do big water changes anymore and i don't want to. Also there is no way i could possibly test for Silicone hydrocloride if it's getting built up in my aquarium. So yes, i'm currently looking for a better product but until then, i'm going to dose extremely sparingly and spot feed only 1 coral with another one as control. I will also get very drunk when I do my growth observation so I would not know which coral is which, thus makes this a double blind experiment.

wow i cant understand the majority of this thread how do all of you know this much about these chemicals....but good luck to ya

For me at least, I read A LOT. I try to read at least a research article each day.

Well they use to call folks who know this stuff nerds, but on fish forums its actually considered cool.

ouling;55954 wrote: Well they use to call folks who know this stuff nerds, but on fish forums its actually considered cool.
lol I do think its cool....it seems most people in this hobby have some sort of engineering/chemistry/biology backgrounds as for me Political Science not much chemistry there :yay:

Back