Expired Water?

wally

Market
Reaction score
After realizing they through out roughly 25 more cases of "expired water," I asked my supervisor at work if I could have the water. He said "sure."

Question is... Can/should I use these "expired" gallons of distilled water for my tank, to mix or top-off?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot the pic.
b2b51b2662035052dcde9cca53cff525.jpg
alt="" />

Curious to test it first and see what results you get

It's water.

The date is a 'sell by' date. Think, rotate stock. It's a way to make sure inventory is FIFO (first in, first out.)

I'd drink it.

Jenn

Should be zero issues... but if you are in the least but worried... just test the water.

Don't know if I'd drink it... but I'd pour it right in my top off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bhodges82;1108838 wrote: Water does not expire, end of case.

I wonder why would water company put expiration date on it?

MyAquariumPro;1108851 wrote: I wonder why would water company put expiration date on it?

More then likely what Jenn said. For inventory rotation purposes. Just like she mentioned most retail stores work on a FIFO bases. The goal is always to get the oldest inventory out the door first.

Also the manufacturer probably doesn't want old labels hanging out next to new labels.

I don't have a way to test TDS. I'll see if my LFS can.

Also, I'm wondering if the plastic bottles "expire" might be the concern?

I work at an assisted living center and we have to keep 180 gallons of bottled water on hand for emergency purposes. They toss them every two years.

Wally;1108853 wrote: I don't have a way to test TDS. I'll see if my LFS can.

Also, I'm wondering if the plastic bottles "expire" might be the concern?

I work at an assisted living center and we have to keep 180 gallons of bottled water on hand for emergency purposes. They toss them every two years.

If the plastic used in the bottle passed the government requirements then there should be no issue of the plastic contaminating the water.

Is there anything else I should test specifically?

Wally;1108856 wrote: Is there anything else I should test specifically?

Not really. You could test for Nitrates but even if there were some that wouldn't effect it's usability for mix water. There should absolutely be zero ammonia since it is distilled drinking water... so I think testing for that would be pointless.

And since you are going to be using it with a salt mix... the pH, Alk, etc is irreverent since your salt will be getting those levels to correct for you.

aXio;1108855 wrote: If the plastic used in the bottle passed the government requirements then there should be no issue of the plastic contaminating the water.

The plastic has been known to start deteriorating if left out in the sunlight for extended periods of time; however, I don't think that is the case here.

The only thing of concern would be potential microplastics that could end up in your livestocks digestive systems. However, that has only been observed (to my knowledge) with plastic bottles left in saltwater. Personally, I would use it in my ATO and call it a day. But that's just me.

If you end up not using it, I would say use it in your garden or somewhere just so you're wasting the water. That's the environmentalist in me speaking but do as you please.

MyAquariumPro;1108851 wrote: I wonder why would water company put expiration date on it?

They want you to buy more, if they told you it didn't expire you wouldn't throw it out.

Wally;1108853 wrote: I work at an assisted living center and we have to keep 180 gallons of bottled water on hand for emergency purposes. They toss them every two years.

I hope you guys don't give distilled water to anyone in your facility to drink!

anit77;1108891 wrote: I hope you guys don't give distilled water to anyone in your facility to drink!

Population control

anit77;1108891 wrote: I hope you guys don't give distilled water to anyone in your facility to drink!

No. It would be used for personal hygiene, sanitation, cleaning, cooking, but not drinking.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm gonna get the TDS tested, but don't foresee any problems and will use it for my ATO.

Thanks all!

Back