Extended time experience with Ehiem Auto Feeder?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I've set the Ehiem AF within seconds of my Apex clock and have it feeding pellets once a day. It appears that the time gets out of whack by up to a minute after a few days.

Has anyone used this method of feeding for several weeks at a time with the clocks matching up correctly? If not, how much does it appear to differ within a week?

I'm deferring the feeder by 3 minutes currently and I'm sure that will work fine. It's not like I'll be at the Great Barrier Reef for months ;) but may look at purchasing the Apex AF if this is a common problem!

Thanks

Are the batteries in the feeder fresh?

I'm not sure that the feeder's clock is intended to be precise to the second. In most applications a variance of a few minutes won't matter.

Do you have the Apex set to cut off powerheads or something during feeding? Or else why would it matter about it being a couple of minutes off?

I've had people use those feeders all the time (not home/they forget to feed fish so the feeder is a babysitter)... no issues.

Jenn

Yes exactly!
Yes, fresh bats.

I've got Apex cutting off power on the return pump, skimmer, MP's and slowing other power heads. 3 minutes afterwards (just to be sure) Ehiem makes 3 spins ((3 x a day).
Ten minutes later MP's cut back on, 5 more minutes the return cuts back on, 3 minutes after that the skimmer cuts back on...
It's working ok, I'll just check the minutes (it's off) next week making sure I don't need to reprogram.
Love my Apex :)

The Ehiem AF is our go to feeder for most our service accounts. For it's intended use it works great. I do agree with Jen though... You won't get exact precise timing out of a battery power feeder. If you want true sync with your pumps and apex the Apex AF is probably best for that situation. I haven't used the Apex feeders personally but some of my technicians have said they can be a bit noisy when they kick on... but a little bit of noise during just feeding shouldn't be too bad. The Ehiem "Twin" feeder is a little bit more accurate but I don't think it will keep sync long term with an apex.

Jakub

Back