Extremely fresh or even live seafood?

sammy33

Market
Reaction score
Where is the best place to get fresh or even live seafood? I am going to try the Pappone/Blu Coral method and need hyper fresh</em> mussels, clams, shrimp, and oysters.

I thought maybe the farmers market by the airport?

The international market off Peachtree used to have some live clams and mussels. Not sure if they have anything else.

Dekalb farmers market, on w. ponce in decatur

Is there a best time to go? For example...LFS's get there coral shipments on wednesday so do these markets have more fresh stock on certain days?

the best time to shop for seafood is Friday or Saturday in the mornings.

also my vote for venues for seafood is dekalb farmers market. international is hit or miss.

photokid;75414 wrote: the best time to shop for seafood is Friday or Saturday in the mornings.
Exactly, but it will be a MAD house!

let us know how it goes

I used to make my own food and it worked out real well, it's pretty much the exact same as the "pappone" food, except it also used fish & veggie oil and a liquid emulsifier

I cant remember if it was dana riddle or what author came up with it, it was in one of the books back in the mid 90's, pretty sure it was dana though

ohh yeah

word of warning

open your windows and blend it right near the window, it will stink beyond stink and your spouse will have to deal with it for a good hour

Big D;75442 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Also, let us know which aminos your going to use... I've got some Seachem, but looks like there's some folks that don't trust them for some reason.</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">David</span>

I have some of the Seachem aminos (Reef Plus) but would like to try the Elos aminos (Omega Amino). Seachem lists about 5 aminos and the Elos product claims it has 17 aminos.

The HGH they put in the original pappone recipe supposedly breaks down into component amino acids. HGH has 191 aminos in it! You can order HGH online but I think it is illegal without a prescription and also very expensive.I think I will leave the HGH out.

I am going to use the sugar (carbon source) in the recipe but reduce the dose by half for the first round of food. I am not going to add any aminos (or HGH) to the Pappone but rather will dose the aminos an hour before lights out and then do the pappone feeding. It seems that the aminos added to the blender may break down into raw components (ammonia, nitrate)?

megadeth;75440 wrote: ohh yeah

word of warning

open your windows and blend it right near the window, it will stink beyond stink and your spouse will have to deal with it for a good hour

Haha...good tip. Now I just have to figure out how to convince my wife that the $30 of seafood is going to feed the aquarium and not us! :huh:

A couple of links about the Blu Coral method and pappone:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1086412">pappone and BLU Coral method</a>

[IMG]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-01/totm/index.php">A Reef from Rome</a>

I've been kicking this idea around, too, Sammy. Please keep us posted on everything.

I have been using pretty much the standard berlin method (strong light, live rock, lotsa flow and good skimming) with the addition of the refugium. Since I have been more intrigued with the SPS corals I have been looking for other methods to try and increase color and growth.

The Blu coral/Pappone method is not just the food but also the elevated levels: Magnesium 1500, Calcium 500, Strontium 16-30, Alkalinity (dkH) 12-14, Iodine 0.06 mg/L. These elevated levels allow for a "reserve" of readily available growth elements.

I have been raising my parameters (ca, alk, mg) close to the elevated levels of Pappone with ca at 450ppm, alk at 10-11dKH and mg at 1400. I am currently having no problem keeping them elevated with dosing b-ionic 2 part with the aqua medic reefdoser and some manual Mg additions. Next is Sr (strontium).

The other part of this method that makes sense is the feeding and how they do it. Aminos are dosed about a hour before lights out while actinics are still on. This seems to act like an appetizer for the corals and seems to produce some pretty impressive polyp extension. The pappone food is then dosed to the tank with no skimmer running overnight. The next morning you crank your skimmer back up to remove the leftover pappone. This is done 1-3 times a week.

The result seems to be increased growth in hard corals and some nice coloration.

I am going seafood shopping this weekend and will make my first batch. I am sure it will take several weeks/months to see any results.

There is a place on buford highway where a lot of the sushi restaurants get their seafood.

As such, its pretty darn fresh. They don't sell to the general public though, unless you have a restaurant or you can speak japanese. Since I semi qualify for the latter category I do shop there on occasion when I need to purchase in bulk.

If you want I can go check on prices when I get some free time.

Big D;75584 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Sam, looks like you've been reading the same articles and threads that I've seen. :thumbs: I saw everything needed today at the fresh seafood counter of Kroger, but I'm thinking it might not be fresh enough.
David</span>

I think you are right about Kroger not being fresh enough. I am hoping to find live mussels and shrimp. I have even seen live oysters available in Florida. The live/fresh ingredients I think is a key to this really working...don't settle...we can even do a road trip to the coast if we have to. :yes:

Big D;75584 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">I'm not sure if I'm going to go that far with my skimmer. I can program the RKII to keep the sump/skimmer out of the picture for a couple hours while the Tunzes are pushing everything around in the tank and then start the return pump back up. David</span>

Are you saying your skimmer is underpowered (prolly not!) or are you saying you are going to do less time with the skimmer off? I am going to stick to the recipe of overnight and see what happens. Most of the Italians leave their skimmer running and just take the cup off. I guess this is to keep the aquarium well oxygenated during the feeding.

Big D;75584 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">The other thing I'm kinda worried about is the filter socks, they're going to be catching a lot of crap.</span><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">David</span>

I plan to take my filter socks off before the feeding and leave them off for the night and then put them back on in the morning when I crank the skimmer back up.

To help balance things I am also going to cut back on other feedings that target the corals (phyto especially) and just feed the fish only (and pappone for the corals). I will still feed mysis, formula one, cylcopeeze, green algae and emerald entree to the fish so the total input will still be higher than what I was previously feeding.

I may have to upgrade my skimmer as the one I have, while awesome, may be undersized for this job. I do have the 30g refugium as a backup for nutrient processing. Will be interesting to see how things unfold with the introduction of the carbon source (sugar in the pappone). This should kick the whole process into high gear!

My aquarium is just about 1 year old and has stabilized in regards to keeping the parameters up and it's nutrient processing ability. I have only had corals in the tank for 4 months so the SPS growth is all still young. I have taken pictures of the tank each month so I can look back and see the growth and color of the corals (hopefully improve) as I move forward. It will be interesting to see how well this method works. I just hope that I am not starting too early?

These should work for freezing the pappone mix into smaller cubes. These cubes are about the size of the frozen brine or mysis cubes. I think this size will be much easier to guage the feeding and will allow a slower start.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
75681=4810-3169ice.jpg
>
75681=4810-3169ice.jpg
class="gc-images" title="3169ice.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
75681=4811-9073496.jpg
>
75681=4811-9073496.jpg
class="gc-images" title="9073496.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Way to go Sammy. I have been toying with the idea of feeding Pap Ever since I went BB. Let me know how it goes.

Sounds really interesting...can't wait to see the results!

Oh yeah, and if you decide to order some HGH, I would love to use some....I mean for the tank of course! ;)

Papone method = massive sps and biceps

Back